drain plugs on 305 5.0L v8?

neuro242

Seaman Apprentice
im new to sterndrives but have checked out the winterization section of this board. purchased new '90 boat and had the shop rewinterize it for me until i learn. just got my seloc manual and it says to drain 6 plugs (3 on each side: 1 is manifold, one is block, one is at elbow), plus one petcock on each side, plus lower water hoses. my confusion is that the shop said this engine only had 4 drain plugs in the block (2 on each side). they left them open and i need to close them when i got out the first time. so, im trying to make sure they got it all, and which is right so i can not only close them in spring but do this next season myself. can anyone clarify that has this engine?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: drain plugs on 305 5.0L v8?

... seloc manual...

I believe this is the problem.... Go to the Adults Only section of this forum and download the correct manual for your engine.... I believe you'll have a much easier time with the genuine item. ;)

Chris..........

neuro242

Seaman Apprentice

the one i need (MercruiserManual15.pdf) is corrupt every time i dl it. the #6 pdf is fine but doesnt include the engine info i need.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

the one i need (MercruiserManual15.pdf) is corrupt every time i dl it. the #6 pdf is fine but doesnt include the engine info i need.

I just d/l it and it works fine for me... Did you download into your browser, or do a "Save as"? I always Save as for PDFs. I have had problems downloading into a browser...

Chris...........

neuro242

Seaman Apprentice

Got it. Had to get it from one of the other sources. The link for #15 on the thread itself was still bad every time it downloaded. (yes, did save as. Im a web developer) :)

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

OK, now that you've got the correct manuals, you should be able to find all the drain plugs. Usually, there are two on the engine one or two on each manifold, and one or two on each riser. If you are worried about not closing all of them before you put the boat in the water, start the engine on muffs and check if water is spraying into the bilge. If it is, you missed one or more. If not, you're good to go. Just double check evrything the first time you start it in the water. Next season end, when you winterize it, remove the drain plugs and clear out the holes using a small scredriver or piece of wire. Safe boating. Hy