New Motor Break In Procedure

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer
Well, finally have a new motor......went with the 5.7 Vortec Silver Package from Michigan Motorz minus the distributor. I'm keeping the TB 5 ignition system from the old motor. I went with the high rise aluminum intake with the Edelbrock Carb 1409.

I know I'll have to properly break the motor in according the service manual.......keeping the motor between 1500 and 2000 rpms, etc, etc. But I wanted to do this with the motor out of the boat, mainly for access purposes. Can the entire break in procedure be done with the motor out or does it need to see a load of some sort?

thanks
Keith

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: New Motor Break In Procedure

...and you can enjoy it during the break in. Why would you want to miss time on the water?

Bondo

Staff member

Can the entire break in procedure be done with the motor out or does it need to see a load of some sort?

Ayuh,... Without a Load, it's conceivable to do more damage than good...;)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't worry about break in at all. Install it in the boat, run it, and have fun :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

"Break-in" for flat-tappet engines is usually at fairly low constant RPM (loaded or unloaded ......makes no difference for the cam)....but does run the risk of causing cylinder glazing which could prevent ring break-in. (That's why you want to do it loaded so the rings will get enough cyl pressure to prevent the glazing)

Now-a-days, with roller followers/lifters it's all rings.

If you have roller followers, run it like you stole it to break in the rings.

The higher the (LOADED) power setting/RPM, the quicker (and more reliably) the rings will break in.

Cheers,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

If you have roller followers, run it like you stole it to break in the rings.

Ayuh,... You can still test fire on the floor,... Just don't expect to call it Break-in time...
Then,...
Take Rick's advice....

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

that's really what i was looking for.....test run, initial timing adjustments, visible inspection for leaks while i can get my head around the engine.

then drop it in and peform the ring break in procedure since that does require high rpms and higher load. the break in procedure i was referring to was the cam only which required 20 minutes of run time between 1500 and 2000 rpms.

just paranoid about flattening a lobe on the cam. every procedure i've read stated not to let it idle, but it's got to idle for a minute or so to get the timing set...........

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

didyour old motor have a flat tappet cam? if so your distributor will have the wrong gear on it. the steel core roller cam which you most likley have in this motor requires a melonized steel gear. this is a special surface hardening process, a conventional gear will wear out he gear on the cam

Bondo

Staff member

the break in procedure i was referring to was the cam only which required 20 minutes of run time between 1500 and 2000 rpms.

Ayuh,... It's a Roller Cam motor, Ain't it,..??

If so, that Cam break-in Doesn't apply...

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

both the old motor and the new motor are vortec hydraulic roller cam. there shouldn't be a problem reusing my TB-5 distributor????

if roller cam does not require break in then i'll just test run on the ground checking for leaks, setting timing, etc. then install and perform the engine break in.....

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

this is the break in procedure that came with my motor........

Break-In
Taking care now to break-in your new Indmar engine is VERY important. When broken in properly, your engine will last longer, run better and require fewer repairs over its lifetime. Your new Indmar engine does not require an elaborate break-in procedure, just a little care and common sense for the first few hours.

Break-in Tips

Always let the engine warm up to normal operating temperature before accelerating.

Avoid fast accelerations and don't carry (or pull) a heavy load during this period.

Check the engine oil frequently. During the first 50 to 100 hours, the engine can use more oil than usual. Maintain oil at proper level but do not overfill.

Vary the boat speed during break-in. Do not run at the same RPM for very long.

Observe gauge readings and check for loose mountings, fittings, nuts, bolts and clamps.

Report any abnormal operation, noises or vibrations to your dealer.

Break-in Steps

1. For the first hour, do not exceed 2000 RPM; vary RPM continuously.

2. For the second hour, do not exceed 3000 RPM.

3. For the next 5 hours, do not exceed 4000 RPM.

After the first 10 hours of operation, take your boat tO the dealer for its first engine oil and filter change and engine checkup. Your dealer is best equipped to check the engine immediately after break-in.

After break-in, your engine may be operated at any RPM within the limits for the engine. Your boat must be fitted with a propeller that will allow the engine to turn between 4400 and 4800 RPM at wide-open throttle with a normal load in the boat.

Engine Oil Requirements

Indmar uses and recommends Pennzoil Marine 15W-40 Marine Oil. If Pennzoil is not available, any 15W40 oil meeting the API specifications of SJ/CH4/CG4 is acceptable. If engine is to be used in conditions below 20 degrees F (-7 C) use 10W30 API SJ/CD motor oil.

Synthetic Oil
Synthetic oil that meets our requirements of 15W-40 SJ/CH4/CG4 is acceptable to use after 100 hours of operation with the recommended conventional oil. The use of synthetic oil does not change the requirement of 50 hour oil change intervals.

Should I follow this or just run it and don't goose the throttle under heavy load for a while?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Run it for a little bit, check the oil, check for anything loose. (if it was installed correctly there shouldn't be anything loose :) )

After that just run it like you normally would. Break in is more to get the customer antiquated to the boat, its speed, and handling charecteristics more than it has to do with the internal mechanicals.
If we rigged 300HP outboards on the back of 19ft bass boats and told a customer to run the snot out of the engine, they would all be dead. So we say "break in" the engine, get used to the boat, take it slow, and take it easy.
When in all reality...
if the engine was put together correctly, all clearences checked and double checked. If everything is torqued correctly. Nothing changes. If the engine wasn't put together correctly, something is going to fail.... might as well have it blow up under warranty.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

That break in procedure sounds VERY generic.. and more applicable to a flat tappet engine.

Since it IS a roller engine, all you're breaking in is the rings. Higher power is better than lower power settings.

Break in is more to get the customer antiquated to the boat,
um......whut?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

both motors were roller cams, thats good, your distributor gear is compatible then. I wont recomend any particular break in method because everyone has different ideas. good luck with your new motor,happy boating:)