Blown Head Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Blown Head Gasket

Well why did you do that? Roller rockers get TQ'd down to 20FTLBS and called a good night. There's no adjusting needed. As far as why you didn't get spray... i dunno, maybe you were low on oil :) They all make a mess, doesn't matter which engine.

Wrong three times there Jason. 1. Not roller rockers 2. It didn't make a mess. 3. Full of oil
Sorry, that's just the way it is! ;)

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark. Feel for you having bought the boat and found that it appear to be money sponge. If you are in Melbourne there is a mob called Victorian Marine Technology that have reconditioned V6 long engine for less than $2800.00

Yes exactly what it is, a money sponge, but when your at the point of no return what do you do? the boat would be worth I guess $15000 to $20000, when the new engine was is it and I have spent nearly double that so I will never get my money back. So I will just keep spending money and enjoying the boat with my family.

As for the motor, I am in Sydney and purchased the last motor off Suburban imports http://www.suburbanimports.com.au/marine.htm so I will more then likely get the long motor off them.

I didnt mean this thread to be so long and so many different opinions, but hey guys is dosent matter now, insurance are not paying and I have to fix it with or without the mechanics contribution.

So who is to do the job of installing the new engine? the devil I know or a new mechanic. I have had the boat 12 months, purchased Feb 09 $14000and I have had dealt with 4 marine mechanics and spent over $11,500 trying to get her back to as new as possible
1st one I went to for a rewire of my boat and new guages, he seen my torn exhaust bellow near the leg and said " oh mate you cant take that out, you will sink the boat", HUH? it wasnt uni bellows!!! so that was bullsh&t. So off to a new mechanic

2nd. The next guy had the boat, didnt even touch it for two weeks was he was a after hours mechanic, and he was more interested in going out and getting on the drink.

NEXT

3rd. THE NEXT GUY IS THE GUY WHO HAS THE BOAT NOW, I GOT HIM TO REWIRE THE BOAT, PUT NEW GUAGES IN, AND FINALLY PUT THE EXHAUST BELLOWS ON , AS IT WAS LOUD AND ANNOYING.
OK HE DIDNT REWIRE THE BOAT COMPLETELY AS MY NAVIGATIONAL LIGHTS WOULD SLOWLY COME ON ??? I FOUND OUT HE JUST CONNECTED THEM WITH THE OLD WIRE AND IT WAS ALL CORRODED, SO I HAD TO REWIRE THAT, THE TRIM GUAGE ONLY WORKS WHEN GOING SLOW, THEN HE DIDNT CHANGE THE EXHAUST BELLOW NEAR THE LEG THAT I ASKED HIM TO DO(AFTER SHOWING HIM) HE CHANGE THE ONES IN THE BOAT, I THINK THEY ARE CALLED EXHAUST ELBOWS?.

And then I blew the motor buy weeds sucking up around the leg, so I gave him the job of installing a new motor (this guys is pretty big, has a showroom and a big mechanical work shop) so the motor was ordered and ready to be picked up, he was to busy and had to wait to get it picked up, I said dont worry I will pick it up. I got there to pick it up and the guy said he hadnt been paid for it yet. Guess what The owner of the big marine workshop and showroon didnt have the money to pay???? So I had to pay for it(remember this new engine ws going through insurance But i had to contribute $4000)anway motor put in, all good.

4th Mechanic ( a mobile guy,) all I asked hm to do was to finally get this bloody Exhaust Bellow repaired, and thats when he said all these problems needed to be fixed, eg New inlet yoke, gimbel beraing etc

And Now I find that he didnt do a correct job either

Back to number 3 mechanic AND NOW THE INSURANCE ASSESSOR TELLS ME THAT THE WARNING SOUND WASNT WORKING FOR THE OVERHEAT (BLOWN HEAD GASKET) AND THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE PART OF THE REWIRE!!

So I ask, who do I trust to install the new engine a new mechanic that I dont even know??? or go with the guy who has it now??? I have had a bad luck with this boat and mechanics. I guess it depends on what mechanics are going to come to the party and help?

Anyway guys, thanks for all your input with this thread.

I will let you guys know what the mechanics are going to do.

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where do I buy one of these in Australia???

Attachments

• One way plug kit.jpg
    One way plug kit.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Where do I buy one of these in Australia???
Are you sure you want one?

A small piece of debris, a sliver of wood, floating around in your bilge can cause the ball to hang up off the seat, and allow water to seep in past it slowly.

A float switch connected to a bilge pump is much safer, IMHO.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Mark,

You can get one right here....

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-One-...4567475--**********.619722682--view_id.237498

I think Chris said it best though...... It could sink your boat!

I would say that applies if you leave the plug out and you don't EVER clean your bilge. Any little bit of debris in the bilge could easily cause the check-ball to "un-seat" and allow water into the bilge.

If you're going to use one, you should not leave the plug out. Also, if you don't have a bilge pump, you NEED to get one.

In addition, get one with a float switch so it will automatically activate with water in the bilge.

If I kept my boat in the water for extended periods of time, I probably wouldn't use one-way drain. (I wouldn't keep my boat in the water for extended periods anyway!)

Here's an example of an automatic bilge pump.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t... pump&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080&hasJS=true

TFHTECH

Seaman Apprentice

i have been building top fuel motors for beter part of 12 years now thees motor produce between 7000 to 8000 hp and it dosent have a drop of water in it but with that being said we run 10 gall. of fuel thew the head and 3 to 4 threw the blower and the hat in less that 4.5 sec if im off on my tune up (lean) it will melt the motor down bad even with 5 gallons on 70 weight racing oil. the oil dose cool the motor but not by conduction but by (lubercating) reducing friction, friction is the main sorce of heat, so in sorts oil is the main coolant but it would not be able to over come the amount of heat generated by the combustion. so we have to have a much better way of getting rid of the btu s that are there so we have to use a (coolant) of some sort we use the nitro first %50 and the mass amout of air that the blower can push 2nd %30 even after (compressing) it to 42 psi the air charge ony is rased 20 degrees. so one without the other they cant do ther job
when i warm up my motor i use 100 % methenol the motor gets hot 275 deg real fast say 30 seconds or so when i switch over to 90% nitro to do the final setting the motor runs for 45sec to 1,5min and the temp drops to 180 now all this is done with the same oil in it noitro has a much lower boiling point than methenol so the motor runs much cooler.
i hope in some way this help clear up somthings

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Is it me or is this post^^^^^even more off topic than anything we have already done to get off topic :) Plus...was this hard to understand or what!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This whole thread is off topic, and now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.