Mercruiser 3.0 Missing P/s Parts

firmedc99

Cadet
Well Here I Stand, My 1st Boat, Grew Up Around Outboards And Getting My Feet Greasy. Ive Got A 1986 23' Larson With What I Believe To Be Same Year Merc 3.0l With 470 Outdrive. This Boat Was A Trade So It Needs Some Work. Thinking There Was An Engine Swap. I Have A Power Steering Rack (excuse The Automotive Talk) With 2 Lines That Connect To An Imaginary Pump On The Front With An Imaginary Belt. Lol. My Question Is... (drum Roll Please) Is It Possible To Get By Without Power Steering? Or Should I Be Looking For That Imaginary Pump, Belt, Pully, Lines, Cooler, Fluid....etc???
-eric

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Missing P/s Parts

Welcome to iboats Eric, first, turn off your caps lock, it will make reading your post a lot easier.

Most of the 470's out there did not have power steering. So yes, you can use it without it.
PS: A 470 is NOT a 3.0L as you mention in your title, it's a 3.7. Head up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of the forum and download the manuals for your engine and drive. #8 and #6 will be the ones you need.

Bifflefan

Commander

Id have to guess you will be fine without it. Id say if has been run like that it can still run like that. As long as you can steer with little effort.

By the way, welcome to the 470 world...:D:mad::D:mad::D:mad:

firmedc99

Cadet

CAPS LOCK.... check! Ok well im starting to think this was a big project that somone didnt want to finish. The Outdrive is clearly marked "470" havent looked up any SN yet. The motor, is marked with (3.0L) unfortunatly the mercury vinal sticker / decal is worn and the SN is missing.... hhhmmmmmmm..... another location for the SN on the motor? and ill check the locations for the outdrive. will this all still work out 3.0 with the 470?

Bondo

Staff member

the mercury vinal sticker / decal is worn and the SN is missing.... hhhmmmmmmm..... another location for the SN on the motor? and ill check the locations for the outdrive. will this all still work out 3.0 with the 470?

Ayuh,... There should be a small tag riveted to the block, just ahead of the starter, with the motor's serial # on it...

Putting a 3.0l in-place of the 470 is going to be a Dog....
The 3.0l is Down about 50hp,+ the outdrive gear ratio is Too High....
All that in a 23' boat is Really going to be a Slug... You'll be lucky to find a prop small enough to get the rpms up to spec...

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

I have an '84 470. Seems like you really need to ID what you actually have. None of it sounds right to me. I'm really curious to see an outdrive that is marked "470"...never have. Look at the pics below and find your serial numbers. The 3.0L S.N. tag is on the block in front of the starter, port side. A 470 S.N. tag is on the starboard side, just aft of the fuel pump. The drive should also have a serial number on the starboard side along with a gear ratio. Problem with that is, you don't know if it's been rebuilt etc...

Attachments

• 470 S.N. location.jpg
    470 S.N. location.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.0L Engine S.N. location.jpg
    3.0L Engine S.N. location.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Alpha S.N. location.jpg
    Alpha S.N. location.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0

Don S

A very simple method to ID the 470 vs. the 3.0L is starter location.
470 starter is on the port side
3.0L starter is on the starboard side.

firmedc99

Cadet

Well i got a few #'s. First on a label on the side of the valve cover is "mercury marine drive unit SN: 0B699153" Did not find any tag on the motor, however stamped on the side of the block is (2770087 / 83 / 67) with GM and made in mexico. The other decal on the valve cover does say MCM 3.0 with horspower rating and plug info.. etc.
Now for the out drive. As u can see by the pics, decal does say 470. only numbers i was able to find are... 4505314 at the top of the gimbal, and on the side of the gimbal is 94992c. no other plates or numbers found.
Photo_112809_003.jpg

Photo_112809_002.jpg

Photo_112809_001.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The water is gettin' Muddier,+ Muddier..
That drive is considerably Older than 1986....
That said,....
You've got a Pile of Parts, None of which really go Together, but possibly can be made to Work....
As for the Final Product,... See my post above...

firmedc99

Cadet

Well... keep fingers crossed, gonna see if i can get it together and going. Will see how it goes and go from there. My appologies the boat is a 21' i know larson did offer 3.0L that year. As for the outdrive, if i change it to the 3.0 should be better?? Have to bear with me here as i am new to the Big Hole in the Water!

P.S with alot of help for y'all here of course!! BTW thanks for the quick responses

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

As for the outdrive, if i change it to the 3.0 should be better??

Ayuh,... The Drive is Not native to the boat... Drives are Regeared all the time...
Those stickers on the drive Casting, quite literally mean NOTHING...

With the 3.0l motor,... You need 1.98:1 Gearing....Which it could quite possibly already have...

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Well i got a few #'s. First on a label on the side of the valve cover is "mercury marine drive unit SN: 0B699153" Did not find any tag on the motor, however stamped on the side of the block is (2770087 / 83 / 67) with GM and made in mexico. The other decal on the valve cover does say MCM 3.0 with horspower rating and plug info.. etc.
Now for the out drive. As u can see by the pics, decal does say 470. only numbers i was able to find are... 4505314 at the top of the gimbal, and on the side of the gimbal is 94992c. no other plates or numbers found.

The lifting ring on the top of your drive puts it pre-1983. The serial number (4505314), whether that's the transom assembly or drive, seems to put it at 1976-1977. Although, like others have said, the guts could be anything after a rebuild. Manual #2 has that drive in it as it was originally paired with the 470 engine.

The engine serial number looks like 1987-1989 3.0L, 140 HP. If so, it's manual #10 for that. Unfortunately, manual #10's serial number range doesn't quite match up sequentially.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

firmedc99

Cadet

Well thank you all for the help with identification. Will see how it all goes together. Like I said, I traded a 87 GMC Jimmy for this boat. might have gotten $1500. for the truck so havent got much invested, so far out of pocket ive spent $25. LOL will get it to where i can run it and see how she runs before putting more time in it. Have come up with a name for the boat... "One Peice At A Time"
Would there be an east way to find out what the gear ratio is? Or will i have to dig in to the gear drive?

Don S

Would there be an east way to find out what the gear ratio is?

Pull the spark plugs, shift to forward, turn the engine in the normal running direction till the timing mark lines up with the pointer. Also mark the prop so you can see when it turns exactly 1 complete revolution.
Now turn the crankshaft by had until the prop makes 1 complete revolution. Also watch the timing mark. If it's ALMOST a full 2 turns on the crankshaft, you have a 1.98. If the crank only turns between 1.5 and 1.75 turns you have the wrong gear ratio.

firmedc99

Cadet

Ok... 800mg ibupropen and i still have a headache.. lol. So i got a lead on a alpha 1 complete outdrive what im curious about is will the alpha 1 bolt right to the gimbal and mount that i have for the 470? or should i start looking? Found out yesterday that the out drive that i have has no reverse.

Bondo

Staff member

So i got a lead on a alpha 1 complete outdrive what im curious about is will the alpha 1 bolt right to the gimbal and mount that i have for the 470?

Yup,... No problem...
but, you still need to resolve the gear Ratio question...

firmedc99

Cadet

Well ya'll, I'm back!! Alot has changed sine my last post in NOV. Well, oh BTW Dec. the wife tells me were expecting a LIL one :) (No selling the boat yet) So.. Where the 470 used to be is now a properly matched alpha1 1:1.98 (used, good shape $300.) All together had to replace the shift cable. Drive on and it runs!! (havent put in the deep blue yet) Still questioning the power steering. I have the valve control on the transom, the 3.0L is missing the hydrolics. (Pump, lines, cooler) Should I bypass the 2 PS lines on the control valver to one another? or leave them open and exposed?? (High pressure and Low pressure inlets)