Oh, Crap! Now What?

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just removed the engine, outdrive and the transom plate and it looks bad, ... very bad. The corrosion has really attacked the parts to the point the screws with the square washers were so degraded they were about half the original diameter. That is were they broke off.

What now?

Inner Transom Plate

Attachments

• transplateinner1.jpg
    transplateinner1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • transplateinner2.jpg
    transplateinner2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • transplateinner3.jpg
    transplateinner3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • transplateinner4.jpg
    transplateinner4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oh, Crap! Now What?

WOW! That is bad. Head over to ebay for a used transom plate. They are cheap ($30). Maybe a ground wire was not connected, as that looks seriously bad. I had the same bolt issue, where I had to break one to get it off.

Sadly, replacement anode bolts cost more than a used transom plate.

3380010625_c2621d80e6.jpg

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gimbal Housing

Two broken off bolts and a hole.

Attachments

• gimbalhousing1.jpg
    gimbalhousing1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0
  • gimbalhousing2.jpg
    gimbalhousing2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0
  • gimbalhousing3.jpg
    gimbalhousing3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
  • gimbalhousing4.jpg
    gimbalhousing4.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Head over to ebay for a used transom plate.

Ayuh,... Make that a Complete transom assembley...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I just removed the engine, outdrive and the transom plate and it looks bad, ... very bad. ........

What now?

I agree with Bond-o. Time for a new (used) transom assembly. If you want some good news, the condition of yours makes the decision easy. At least you don't need to agonize over whether to try and fix what you have now or not. Simple - buy another assembly. (And you can usually find them for not much money on the various auction / classified ad sites). ;)

Ohioriver

Seaman

Now show us what the transom of the boat looks like now that you have the drive off. Can't wait to see those pics.

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okeey - Dokee

Transom pictures coming up. The corrosion was so bad it caved in the transom almost an inch on the inside and you can also see the corrosion INSIDE the wood! :eek:

Attachments

• transom1.jpg
    transom1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
  • transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • transom3.jpg
    transom3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • transom4.jpg
    transom4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • transom5.jpg
    transom5.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And More;

Attachments

• transom6.jpg
    transom6.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • transom7a.jpg
    transom7a.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry about your problem, but good to see you still have a sense of humor...nice plate.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Looks like you might be needing to rebuild that transom while you're at it

Ohioriver

Seaman

Wow, you have some work to do. I look at those pictures and can't help think what would happen if you were cruising along in that boat and hit something with the drive. If it would of just all come apart.

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Problem solved, ... I buried my head in the sand! :eek:

Naw, just kidding.

I just got off the phone from a place called John Fishers Marina from Irie Michigan. They will be shipping out the whole transom assembly (both sides of the transom) tomorrow for a screaming deal. Should be here in So. Cal. mid next week!

ALSO, ... I should be able to sell off the parts that I don't need (gimbal ring and bell housing) on the various sites and make "ALL" my money back.

Whoo-Hoo! :D ;)

UPDATE ... 12-03-09 ... Problem Still not solved!
Please look at post #21 and #22 :(

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, you have some work to do. I look at those pictures and can't help think what would happen if you were cruising along in that boat and hit something with the drive. If it would of just all come apart.

Hehe

Did you look at my restoration thread pictures, I am completely surprised that the whole freaking thing didn't come apart just towing it around the block!

Ohioriver

Seaman

After looking at these pictures I can't believe you were out cruising around in it without having MAJOR problems. Also we need to know where you are buying most of you supplies from to rebuild it. We want to buy stock now, because we know it will be going up soon.:D

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Doh!

CDX Ply, ... Home Depot or Lowes, ... Depends on who has the flattest and driest sheets.

Glass, ... A friend works at a place that makes it and he works in the R@D department. He said he will feed me glass on the cheap when the bolts get to low to bother with.

Resin, ... I buy my resins from West and US Composites. West will be way to expensive for a job this size and US Composites on the wrong coast and this much resin will cost a fortune in shipping. I need to research a little bit to see if I can get it locally.

I should be able to save a great deal on the resin by not using a huge amounts of it when wetting it out. I'm going to see about using my two vacuum bagging systems on it.

Ohioriver

Seaman

All kidding aside, I wish you the best of luck on your project, hope it all goes well for you. Just wondering what year boat is it?