Fuel Line/Teflon Tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Line/Teflon Tape

I was told not to use teflon tape on the fittings going into the fuel pump. Is there validity to this? If so, why?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.-Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Re: Fuel Line/Teflon Tape

Probably due to the risk of bits of tape coming loose and getting stuck in the fuel system. Pretty sure I have seen the same recommendation in my Volvo service manual.
    2004 Glastron SX 195
    Volvo 5.0GL-D SX-M

Comment

ethanol fuel eats the tape
      just because you found it that way does not mean it is supposed to be that way.

Comment

For the above reasons plus the fact that the seal is not on the threads but on the male/female flares. Teflon tape was developed as a thread lubricant not as a seal although it does help to seal when used with tapered threads (pipe threads).
        '76 Fiberform Custom 18
        Volvo AQ130D/280

Comment

Is there a product that is recomended then?
          Or do ya just give the fittings another little bit of torque?
          sigpic

Join iboats on Facebook & connect further with your boating family!http://www.facebook.com/iloveboating

"Angry Mob Henchman"

1968 Starcraft 18 ft HOLIDAY-V
          120 HP Merc I/O

And........

1978 Starcraft SS18/70hp Johnson Eggbeater

my resto thread here https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=304356

Comment

Flare and compression fittings don't seal on the threads so putting anything on the threads isn't going to help. If the sealing surfaces are leaking then look there and not at the threads. Cranking down on the fitting may work but it may also exasperate the situation.

Don't get me wrong, teflon tape and pipe dope can certainly be useful on the right application.
            '76 Fiberform Custom 18
            Volvo AQ130D/280

Comment

If the threads see fuel then don't use teflon. Go to an automotive store and look for a thread sealant that is designed for fuel. Permatex makes a thread sealant for this purpose.

Butch

Comment

When I installed my fuel/water seperator the instructions said to not use the teflon tape but to buy and use the teflon pipe thread compound that is white and comes in a tube. I did that and it seems to work fine. I do believe a little piece of that teflon tape could get loose in your fuel line and really plug up your system. With the compound there's nothing to get loose. Good Luck!

Comment

so this is confusing. Obviously flare fittings/adapters don't seal on the threads, yet pipe dope is recomended. Is this solely for lubrication purposes then?

Can you get the Permatex stuff at Napa? I'm trying to fix a leak going into my fuel pump that won't go away.
                  The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.-Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Comment

Just like the other posts are saying.. The threads do not see fuel.. It is the flare that stops the fuel from leaking. Too much torque is just worse than not enough. If you tighten it too tight it will ruin the flare and never stop leaking. Then your only choice is to replace it.
                    sigpic "Spend a little money, save a lot of time"

Comment

If the fitting end that screws into the fuelpump itself has a pipe thread I would definately apply a thread sealant, but the flare end no for reasons already given.
                      '90 Chaparral 2000SL
                      5.8 Cobra
                      '67 MFG Westfield Regal
                      80hp V-4
                      (No private messages)

Comment

yeah the flare/fitting junction is not leaky.

Comment

I bought some permatex form a gasket. I found that as I was torquing her down into the fuel pump that the female threads of the fuel pump casting was cracked -- probably where the leak was coming from in the first place.Lucky I have one on order arriving today...

anyone know how much you should torque these things as not to repeat the same mistake twice?

Comment

its tapered thread... so snug but not wicked tight.
                            just because you found it that way does not mean it is supposed to be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by bds85466 View Post
                              I bought some permatex form a gasket. I found that as I was torquing her down into the fuel pump that the female threads of the fuel pump casting was cracked -- probably where the leak was coming from in the first place.Lucky I have one on order arriving today...

anyone know how much you should torque these things as not to repeat the same mistake twice?
                              A torque number no, but I would shug it up to the point that it feels secure and does not leak, then maybe an extra 1/4 turn. I have a problem with overtightning as well from time to time. So I started the good and secure feeling plus 1/4 turn on most things and I have had no more problems...

Comment

Working...
                              X