Mercruiser trim is all the way up, but won't go down.

MelLandry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1979 Mercruiser 228. After running all day today I came back to wash down. The trim went all the way up, but now won't go down. The "automatic stop" has not worked on the trim for years, and the indicator hardly works as well. When I hit the trim up buttons, I can hear the motor run, but nothing when I try to trim down. Please let me know where I should start to investigate.

Thanks in advance.

BigBK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mercruiser trim is all the way up, but won't go down.

I have a 1979 Mercruiser 228. After running all day today I came back to wash down. The trim went all the way up, but now won't go down. The "automatic stop" has not worked on the trim for years, and the indicator hardly works as well. When I hit the trim up buttons, I can hear the motor run, but nothing when I try to trim down. Please let me know where I should start to investigate.

Thanks in advance.

Here try this and see if it helps solve the problem. May be the down solenoid switch.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/97/97hs6.pdf

snoski

Seaman

Start by cleaning all of the electrical connections.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

When I hit the trim up buttons, I can hear the motor run, but nothing when I try to trim down.

The fact that you can hear the motor running would rule out an electrical issue. It may just be stuck. Try standing on it while someone trims it down.

rockyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try checking the fluid level , that was what was wrong with mine , i had to stand on it to get it down and while it was down i filed it up and now its fine .

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a bad ground to pump. Would go up but not down, good luck!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Go up, and then quickly down. Often works for me.