302 Mercruiser, Popping/backfire through Carb?

conk3416

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 302 Mercruiser, Popping/backfire through Carb?

i have siphoned out a couple of glass fulls of gas out of the tank and dont seem to see any water in the fuel. How do you know if you water/fuel sep. is full or needs replaced?
or is that something that should be replaced once a year or sooner?

Thanks Andrew

conk3416

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok i have just checked the firing order on my boat and it is 1-3-7-2-5-6-4-8 instead of 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Well that should solve my problems but right now the carb is out getting rebuilt. So i will let everyone know when i get the carb back but i would like to thanks everyone right now for all of the help,

Thanks Andrew

WizeOne

Commander

i have siphoned out a couple of glass fulls of gas out of the tank and dont seem to see any water in the fuel. How do you know if you water/fuel sep. is full or needs replaced?
or is that something that should be replaced once a year or sooner?

Thanks Andrew

If you know that you siphoned gas out from the bottom of the tank and have no noticable amount of water in the bottom, when it settles, then I would just change the element every year. If you do not know when the last time it was change, I would do it now to give you a baseline.

10% ethanol gas will suck water out of the air, so there is no doubt that the element will have a job to do even if minor. I've siphoned gas out of tanks where I have had a whole cup full of water settle out in the bottom, but you have to be sure to get to the far lowest corner of the tank. I made a semi rigid dip tube that will reach the far lowest corner of my tank, then I just crank up the bow of the boat so that all the water will go to that far lowest corner.

Yep, that messed up firing order will throw a wrench into the whole works. Good you checked it.

conk3416

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok i put the rebuilt carb on and also got the firing order right and engine runs GREAT. But it is overheating on me. A problem i thought i had figured out but guess i dont. I started a new thread for the overheating problem. But i just wanted to thank everyone for there help on the running issue. I really appreciate it.

Thanks Again, Andrew