Plate, looks like a shoe heel

spydermann11

Seaman Apprentice
This was found at the boat launch.
My freind had one fall out of his Alpha One while he pulled off his prop.
Any one know what it is?

Attachments

• Alpha One Plate.pdf
    10.5 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Plate, looks like a shoe heel

Part of a broken exhaust shutter. aka flapper

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Ahhh the taps for my dance shoes... you found them!!!

Did you happen to get the PM I sent ya last night Don?

spydermann11

Seaman Apprentice

So it is a exhaust flapper (I was guessing a exhaust baffle).
It would seem to me that this would prevent water from getting up into the engine. Is this correct? should I tell my friend that it absolutely needs to be replaced?
Or is it very unlikely that this will be a issue?

ziggy

Admiral

i've read where some engine drive systems don't have them, even from the factory... mostly read that about vp.

that said, the exhaust shutter does help keep water from back flowing up the exhaust while backing up, while beached and waves are slamming against your transom, under extreme slow down maneuver where the wave of your own boat chases you down and slams into the drive/transom, and possibly if your operating in a following sea... so to me, they serve a purpose and if you have (had) one, myself, i'd replace it..

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Depending on the exhaust set-up your friend has in his boat, they can be relatively easy or a PITA to replace. Early exhaust systems had the flappers down at the bottom of the Y-pipe, a real PITA. Later exhausts had them up by the large rubber exhaust hoses, easier to change. Always replace both of them. They usually come in a kit with the pins and the bushings included. Good luck. Hy

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

At a minimum, fish the broken bits of old flapper out. Youve got one half of one of them. If the other one is lodged at the Y pipe, it can be a restriction.