Replacing In-pump Fuel Filter Mercruiser 3.0L

tnmike

Recruit
2004 Mercruiser 3.0L ser # OM696777

Do you have to take the fuel pump off to replace this filter? I can't figure out what to do to replace it? Can you help with detailed instructions?

Does anyone have a link for the fuel filter part?

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing In-pump Fuel Filter Mercruiser 3.0L

There is a screw (blue in my picture) at the bottom of the fuel pump. The pump has a "cone" like piece on the bottom that is held in place with a metal strap (colored red in my picture). That strap has a "T" shape at each end of it, that will hook into a couple notches in the body of the fuel pump.

The screw is right in the middle of that strap (the strap is bent sort of like a "V"). When you loosen that screw, it will release the pressure that is pulling that strap tight to the fuel pump body. Push up on that strap and tilt it to one side. You will be able to unhook the strap from one side of the fuel pump, and then you rock it to the other side to unhook the other side of the strap.

Once the strap is off, you can pull that cone shaped dome off and under that piece is the fuel filter.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 37

tnmike

Recruit

Thank you. My screw has a wire going around it to prevent turning that is I guess painted on. It goes thru the middle of the bottom screw head and around the center square set nut. I assume i just pry that off with a screwdriver?

mahause

Recruit

Apparently I was given the wrong fuel filter. The fuel filter that came on the engine has a spring inside the housing. I dropped the assembly and didn't get to see the order of assenbly. Does the spring go above or below the filter? Thanks for the help.

Is that filter a disposable type or reusable? That one slipped by me this year and think I am going to replace/clean mine as well.

Thanks!

mahause

Recruit

It is disposable. I was apparently given the wrong filter because the one they gave me is much larger than the one that is in the fuel pump.

MolenaI

Recruit

Hello. Love the website it has been a great help. I am replacing mine as well but I noticed somthin different in my engine's set up. The bell in the diagram you posted shows it pointing down. Mine is the reverse of that. The boat ran fine last season, but this issue is new this season. Replaced, electrical, oil, water pump, thermostat, etc.. The fact that mine points upward, is tht an issue?

Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

cup dosent matter what direction.As far as the spring goes, it forces the filter down to seal. should the filter get plugged the fuel pressure will raise it up .sort of like a by-pass mode.

Is there a fuel shut off valve? or Do you have to plug up the fuel line?

Capt Jimbo

Cadet

If the bowl is on top, then it is a low volume type. Bowl on bottom is a high volume type. In both cases the spring goes between the bowl and filter. If you put the spring on the other side of the filter it will cause the fuel to bypass the filter, so I am told.

loud2222

Recruit

hello.. i just got a new fuel pump for my mercruiser 3.0L and it says it's important that the engine "is in its lowest downstroke before installing" How do you get the engine to this point?? It says if i don't do this, i will damage the new fuel pump. Can you help?