How to remove and replace a Starter motor on Mercruiser 888/ford 302

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 74 Wellcraft Nova with twin ford 302's I think one of the starter motors are bad. The slave solenoid just clicks and when I jump the solenoid it still just clicks, the starter does not turn over. Just looking at it ,i do not see how it can be removed without pulling the engine. it is the port side strter which is next to the side of the sarboard engine.
Any one successfull withe replacing the starter without pulling the engine? any sugestions is appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to remove and replace a Starter motor on Mercruiser 888/ford 302

Only you can see your setup. But I will say this. It wouldn't be the first boat that had to have the engine removed to change a starter. I've had to many times, even some need pulled to do a tuneup or raw water pump.

WizeOne

Commander

Not being able to see how close the motors are together or what kind of outdrives you have, you ought to be able to look at the starboard engine starter and make a determination if you can get to the starter on the port engine without pulling it.

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well here is the engine setup and drives.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have laid down on the floor and stuck My head in the bildge and tried to seeif I can reach the starter,but I cant even see the bolts and even if I got it off I do not see how I could hold up the starter and align the bolts.

Attachments

• wellcraft nova 005.JPG
    wellcraft nova 005.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • wellcraft nova 004.JPG
    wellcraft nova 004.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 0

WizeOne

Commander

From my vantage point, sorry to say, looks like a motor pull to get to that starter.

And might as well change the plugs while you're at it.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If you pull both those manifolds you may be able to slink your arms down there.... but it's a big maybe.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You could probably get at it if you removed the manifold, but....
There are 8 bolts holding that manifold on....
Way easier to pulll the engine.....;)

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, you're gonna have an easier time yanking that motor. The starter will be straight back behind the alternator. With stupidly long extensions I'd bet you can get it out, but unless your arms are 5 feet long you're not getting it back in there. I have a similar setup in my Rinker, but I don't have as much room in front of the motor as you have. Believe it or not, pulling an engine is not as hard as you might imagine it to be, and it gives you a good reason to inspect the oil pans and access anything else that could stand attention but is difficult to get at.

Tip for testing Ford starters, find a long pole or something that will allow you to hit the starter and give it a good thump. If it starts working, it needs replacement.