4.3 Mercruiser Thunderbolt IV base timing

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most of us know the Thunderbolt V has a purple wire that needs to be grounded to set the timing in order to stop the auto advance. But what about the Thunderbolt IV on a 4.3 Mercruiser? I'm trying to time it right now and can't find how to put it into base timing mode. The Mercruiser Service Manual doesn't mention it in the timing section and I know there is no purple wire to ground on the Thunderbolt IV.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 Mercruiser Thunderbolt IV base timing

The Thunderbolt IV system does not get put into base timing mode.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The T-Bolt IV is simply attach the timing light, point,+ set....

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Duh... I just spent 2 days lookin for the damn thing! I should have just visited iboats first. My manual covers several years but doesn't specify the Thunderbolt IV doesn't have the wire.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once again, Thank you all very much!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My manual covers several years but doesn't specify the Thunderbolt IV doesn't have the wire.

That is because when the TBolt IV system was used, there was no such thing as TBolt V and putting things into base timing. So why would they specifically say not to put in base timing mode ???????

Bondo

Staff member

Quote:
My manual covers several years but doesn't specify the Thunderbolt IV doesn't have the wire.

:D:D Ayuh,...:D:D