Outdrive oil type...Mercruiser vs walmart brand

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there any difference between the Walmart brand Gentech and the Mercruiser brand? The price difference is significant, 14.00 vs 3.00.

paul

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outdrive oil type...Mercruiser vs walmart brand

I have moved this over to the I/O section as it is specifically asked about an outdrive . . .

I was tempted to lock it as these threads almost always become a peeing contest :eek: However . . . since I don't recall a specific question about Gentech, maybe it will be valuable. If the flames start, I will pull out my peeing stick and quench it in a heartbeat ;) DonS may lock it even sooner. Good luck!!!

capecodder116

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has always been my belief in life..."You get what you pay for...." buyer beware....

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class

as long as its gl-5 certified, you'll be fine.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Is there any difference between the Walmart brand Gentech and the Mercruiser brand? The price difference is significant, 14.00 vs 3.00.

paul

Do you mean "Supertech?" And you are talking about the outdrive oil, and not the engine oil... correct?

I use the Supertech ENGINE oil without any qualms in most of my engines - car or boats.

For the OUTDRIVE, I spend a little extra and use the Mercruiser High Performance lube. The "green stuff." I suspect the Walmart brand of oil is the same as the "regular" Mercruiser lube - if it is light brown or honey colored it is the "regular" stuff. I recommend the green stuff. (How's that for scientific description? ;))

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have had good luck running the Pennzoil premium marine gear lube...5 bucks a quart. I change it twice a year though.

n2ostroker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When it comes to the outdrive lube I use the Merc High Perf. They designed the outdrive. Comaring price of outdrive replacement to $10 more for a quart of lube I wouldn't chance it.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

as long as its gl-5 certified, you'll be fine.

Is Merc high perf gear lube+ gl-5 certified? I don't see it on the bottle or in the merc accessories guide saying it is, just curious.

James

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The Walmart typr that I recently used was the green type which I have usually seen from the "better brand lubes" or even sythetic or synthetic blend.Charlie

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I run the Merc HIPO Fluid.

45Auto

Commander

Assuming you change your outdrive oil once a year, you'll save about $11 per year on an Alpha, and about $33 per year on a Bravo.

Have you priced drive repairs or replacements lately? Figure that you're going to need somewhere in the neighborhood of a minimum of 50 years of savings if the cheaper oil causes you ANY type of drive problems.

Supposedly the Merc stuff can hold a substantial amount of water (lots of detergents maybe?) and still provide adequate lubrication in case of a leaking seal. Guess that's what bullet #3 is about in this Mercruiser propaganda: http://www.mercurymarine.com/otherproducts/maintenance/gearlubehp.php

I run the Merc stuff in mine, figure $30/year is worth it just to not have to worry about it enough to ask the opinion of a bunch of yahoos on the internet who you have no idea how much they know!!! :D :D :D

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I went to the dealer today and the Merc stuff costs 16.50 a qt. if anyone is interested.
How much does the outdrive hold? Thanks

paul

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Approx a quart and 1/4 to a 1/2.get 2 quarts and you are covered.charlie