stumped

coupertee1

Recruit
just got a 88 raven from dad hasnt ran sence 94,cleand gas tank.carb.stater,all wiring contions,plugs ,points,cap,new feul ,she still wont idle smooth, this boat has only been in water 5 times, has less than 30 hours, its a merc ,3.0 liter help coupertee1

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: stumped

Welcome aboard coupertee1. I have moved this over to the Mercruiser section. You'll get much better and more help over here. Good luck!

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, start with the basics.

1) Check compression in all cylinders. Above 120 should be ok. To do this test, pull all spark plugs, insert compression gauge, open throttle fully and turn over.

2) Do all the spark plugs fire a nice bright blue? Check em out

3) If 1,2 are ok, check the timing. It may be tough if it's not running right, but try to ballpark it. If you move the dist to adjust make sure to mark it before you get going so you can get it back to where it was!

4) If 1,2,3 are ok, then look at the fuel. Have you craked the carb? Look especially for any blockages in the idle and power fuel jets...it's classic to have varnish buildup after sitting a while. Also classic is to have a needle and seat stick open or closed. Also, pull out the float and shake it...any fluid inside? If so, replace it as this will increase your float level.

Basically, fuel, spark, air. It's one of the 3.

Chay

Kovah55

Banned

Me if it were my boat i would pull off the carb, clean the filter at the inlet fitting, the filter in the fuel pump, and rebuild the carb. Make sure it is CLEAN.
Reinstall the carb, Yank the dizzy cap and clean the points with sandpaper, and check the gap, put back on the cap.
Pull the plugs one at a time and check the gap and condition of plugs. Make sure all the plug wires, and dizzy wires are good and tight on.
Pull the fuel hose from the fuel pump inlet, and with a long enough hose that can reach a external tank of fresh fuel, install on the fuel pump inlet.
Fully charged battery installed, dribble a few tablespoons of gas into the carb and start it. Make sure you have water going to the drive.
Post the result.
When we have it running good install a fresh impeller in the drive.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the idea about the external tank. After thinking about it for a bit, it could definately be bad gas.

Chay