O.M.C tilt/trim solenoids are just clicking.

Mikhai

Recruit
Okay... I bought this 87 bayliner capri with 2.3l engine and comes with OMC Cobra outdrive and It was winterized in 2006 and sitting in storage until I purchased it 2 months ago. My friend and I was trying to get it ready for the water but when we tried testing the tilt/trim button on the throttle the solenoids just clicks. So we called around and got different opinions by describing the problem.

1. Omaha Marine Center said they thought it was the soloniods were locked up because it was sitting for a long time and moisture got in them.

2. Buddy's Marina which works on OMC's said it was the tilt/trim motor could try hitting it with a hammer because once again.. it has been sitting for a while and sometimes the brushing or something like that.. gets stuck. He also said it would be awhile before I could get the boat in for repair. ( too much money and would rather fix self ).

So...I don't know, I'm new to the boating scene and would rather fix this myself so I'm looking for help or opinions on how to fix problem. Thanks

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: O.M.C tilt/trim solenoids are just clicking.

First priority of the day: Get a manual for your drive. They are available on eBay.

Pull all the electrical connections off the trim pump, clean them and put them back on and test. If things are good, cover all the connections with liquid electrical tape.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: O.M.C tilt/trim solenoids are just clicking.

1. Omaha Marine Center said they thought it was the soloniods were locked up because it was sitting for a long time and moisture got in them.

2. Buddy's Marina which works on OMC's said it was the tilt/trim motor could try hitting it with a hammer because once again.. it has been sitting for a while and sometimes the brushing or something like that.. gets stuck.

Both are possibilies, but there is only so much information shops can give without actually doing some troubleshooting. There could also be several other things.
Corroded connections, faulty 50A fuse.
Get your meter and manual and start doing some voltage tests. Here is a drawing of your trim system.
You should have power to both the up and down solenoids on the R/Pur wire from the fuse to the solenoids. Do you
Then have someone activate both the up and down relays. You should have power to the large terminals with the Green White, and Blue White wires when the solenoids are activated. Do you?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trim wiring.jpg
    Trim wiring.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 16