Chevy 305 has rough idle at 8 degrees timing but gets smooth at 16 degrees - 600 RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer
What would cause a non vortec carburated Chevy small block to idle well at 16 degrees BTDC but idle rough and erratic at 8 degrees? The engine will run good at that high spark advance but will obviously ping at higher RPMs. When the engine is set to 6 - 8 degrees BTDC the engine idles rough at 600 - 700. It runs great between 1000 and 5000 though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chevy 305 has rough idle at 8 degrees timing but gets smooth at 16 degrees - 600

Idle mixture on the carb needs adjusting or the carb needs a proper rebuilding.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chevy 305 has rough idle at 8 degrees timing but gets smooth at 16 degrees - 600

timing chain could be very loose, you can check by removing the dist cap, rotate motor in normal direction untill timing mark is at "0", mark rotor, rotate crankshaft in opposite direction untill rotor moves. a tight chain moves the rotor instantly, a worn chain might get 10-20 degrees difference before the rotor moves.

mthieme

Captain

I thought that too. But few marine engines live long enough to wear out a timing chain. Another symptom would be the timing mark jumping around a little bit and a general loss of power.
But Don's on a roll today. If I see one more of his posts like this, I'm starting a game show "Name that Problem" with him as the star! (like name that tune - I can name that engine problem in one symptom!). I would yield to his expertise before ripping the front of the engine apart. Adjusting the carb would be a prerequisite anyway.
Besides, we don't have clue what else might have or have not been done or how old it is or anything else.

chiefalen

Captain

What year is this 305. Don s is, as always on the money. Carb must be ruled out before anything else.

With what little info we were given the conclusion must be the carb first.

Was this discovered cause you just bought the boat ?

You were doing a tune up and was timing the motor ?

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I tried rotating the crank as suggested and found a 10 - 15 degree difference between the distributor and the crank. I took off the timing cover and was amazed that there was a very loose double roller chain in there. I replaced the chain today and look forward to seeing how it runs tomorrow. The new chain is as tight as a barbed wire fence. ;) I also have a new Q-jet on the way.

chiefalen

Captain

They don't call him the Doctur for nothing.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Took her out to the lake today and ran her for about 2 - 3 hours. The idle is much much better and the thing fires right up, but the idle is still a little bit erratic. When I say erratic I mean sometimes it will hum at 650 RPMs and after running it hard for a few minutes or after it has been shut off for about 20 minutes it doesn't want to idle at more than 450 RPMs. I think changing the carburetor will make a big difference.

Don S

You may have water in your carb and/or the water seperating fuel filter. Have you checked?

How about a little information on your engine. Need answers to #1 in the link below.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I do not have water in the fuel. I have checked that.

I'm sorry I didn't put all the proper info on the engine.

1982ish Chevy 305 HO with 4MV Q-Jet and stock intake bolted up to an OMC Stringer 800 with a 14X14 / 14X16 prop

Don S

Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture on the carb? Not idle speed, idle mixture?

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I have, I found the port idle screw to be a lot more sensitive than the starboard idle screw. The port side will kill the engine if closed where as the starboard side will make it just run a bit rougher when closed. I followed the instructions on adjusting the carb's idle mixture and speed and have the screws set to the "optimum setting". I have just ordered a remaned Q-Jet 4MV with an electric choke (My current carb has no choke at all). I have a feeling this one may be bad. I will post what happens after I install the new carb.

Engine compression is good and I put a new gasket on the intake when I installed new cylinder heads. That leaves either ignition or fuel delivery.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

a non responsive idle mix screw is a good sign there is something wrong wiht the carb

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I don't want speak out of turn here but if the carb is replaced and issue still persists would the next order of buisness be the ignition module that controls the spark advance?. If in fact this engine has electronic ignition?. And if so don't purchase after market by OEM.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I wish it had electronic ignition. It has a points system and an old prestolite mechanical marine distributor. Because I plan on doing a lot of trolling I have considered upgrading it to a high performance electronic ignition.

I find it hard to believe that I can run the engine at full throttle with a bad carb for minutes at a time without any issues other than a possible lack of power. I would think it would run lean and cause an overheat or detonation issue.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Well my input is ruled out. But I would have to believe the concensus that the issue is in fact the carb due to the inconsistant performance and the adj, on both side screws don't give similar results.

havasuboatman

Ensign

I wish it had electronic ignition. It has a points system and an old prestolite mechanical marine distributor. Because I plan on doing a lot of trolling I have considered upgrading it to a high performance electronic ignition.

I find it hard to believe that I can run the engine at full throttle with a bad carb for minutes at a time without any issues other than a possible lack of power. I would think it would run lean and cause an overheat or detonation issue.

Your idle problem wont effect the high speed operation of the carb. When you are using one, the other isn't in use

Don S

Two completely different systems of the carb being used. You are having problems with the idle circuit, not the hi speed circuit.

BBK

Cadet

I had the same problem with my 1990 Bayliner 5.0l . After checking carb, replacing plugs setting timing I went to the distributor "prestolite mechanical". I noticed the wieghts seemed a little sticky. Used some electronic cleaner, then oil lightly with 3 in 1. Wiped it clean.....It worked no more rolling idle at low rpms or rough idles.

BBK

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I cleaned and oiled the distributor internals as replaced the carb. I currently have the timing set like so:

700 RPM 8 degrees
3000 RPM 36.5 degrees

After clean cleaning the distributor the timing advanced at idle by 8 degrees even though the distributor had not moved. That obviously will make some difference. I also notice the new carb is much smoother when I advance the throttle. I look forward to trying it out on the lake after the wind finally dies down. It looks to be 25 - 40 MPH all week. It's not fun getting wet when the water temp is still 45 degrees. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.