Removing Mercruiser engine and outdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice
Just have one simple question...does anyone have a step by step on how to remove the engine and outdrive on a mercruiser 260 5.7L V8 1986 year model. Also, what should I be prepared to replace while I have the engine/outdrive out of the boat? (seals, gaskets, etc.) Need responses quick! Thanks.

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Removing Mercruiser engine and outdrive

Welcome aboard. Go to the top of the forum adults only.

Then to manuals, pull the year and model number manual and d/l it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You do need to download the manual as Chief mentions, but I don't know if it will give you a complete "step by step" of doing the entire job. Having said that, it is not terribly difficult if you have ever pulled an engine.

Basically you need to remove the outdrive first, and the manual will tell you how to do that.

Then you remove the engine. Unplug the main wiring harness, any ground wires / cables.... fuel hose... etc. Most of that is self evident. The main thing is to remove the side mounts with the engine. Take out the lag bolts, or whatever you have holding the mounts to the stringers instead of trying to remove the mounts from the engine. While the engine out is out be sure the side mounts are clean and easy to adjust - you will need to adjust things when re-installing. But now I'm getting ahead of myself. ;)

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, I got all the manuals downloaded and printed. we actually got the outdrive and engine out last night. Today I ordered the new starter and a new lower shift cable kit. One question, is there a trick to changing the lower shift cable to be sure not to break something?

Bondo

Staff member

One question, is there a trick to changing the lower shift cable to be sure not to break something?

Ayuh,... All the Tricks are right there in the Manual.......;)

chiefalen

Captain

Hope you ordered oem cable Don says they are much better and coated with teflon.

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

I actually was able to find a shop manual at http://www.georgiawatersports.com that fit my needs perfectly. It gives step by step instructions on how to do pretty much everything. I think it is the ticket to getting this job done. I appreciate the help.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Today I ordered the new starter and a new lower shift cable kit. One question, is there a trick to changing the lower shift cable to be sure not to break something?

I don't remember what year they changed, but you might want to double check which way your old shift cable threaded into the bell housing - from forward or aft. The new style cable threads from the aft side and if you are replacing the old style you will need to tap the threads. It takes a straight tap (NPS - National Pipe Straight) instead of a tapered (NPT - National Pipe Tapered). If the cable you are replacing is already the newer style, then you're good to go! ;)

Also - it is MUCH easier to replace the cable with the engine out of the way, so be sure to install the new cable BEFORE re-installing the engine.

With the engine out it is a good time to check the bilge pump and hoses, etc.

One last item - if you boat in salt water, I suggest spraying the entire engine down with a good anti corrosion spray before you re-install it as well. It can save the oil pan, etc from getting rusty.

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I removed my 260 for a rebuild, I pretty much replaced everything--such as gimble bearing, shift cable, universal and exhaust hose. (Get the kit!)I even replaced the trim and limit switches. Its all easy to do when the engine is out. If you don't want to blanket everything with new parts, then the key is to INSPECT it closely, and replace whats needed. What to look for will be explained in the manual.
Chris
Picture045.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.