What's the scoop on Teflon tape?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the scoop on Teflon tape?

It's come to my attention from reading these posts and a few other places that Teflon tape has no place on a boat. Could someone explain why this is?
    "Jacoba"
    '92 2556
    '98 7.4L MPI, Closed Cooling, Bravo III

Re: What's the scoop on Teflon tape?

Ayuh,...

1 of the reasons is that many sensors are grounded thru where you'd use it...
    With a full plastic shield between the sensor,+ ground,...
    It won't work...

By getting used to using a Paste type of thread sealant,...
    It's never an Issue...

Comment

Only 4 uses for it! Natural gas,propane,air and water. I use the aviation stuff. Great for hydralics and motor parts!

Comment

My experiance has been tape leaks abot 50% of the time. Paste never leaks.

Comment

Teflon Tape csuses more leaks than it cures. Plus if installed improperly will cause cracked housings, and teflon tape where it shouldn't be. Newbe's seem to think teflon tape is the ONLY thing to use on fittings. But it was developed to use on gas fittings that can't stand oil products.

Teflon tape is ranked right up there with duct tape and a swiss army knife. Jack of all trades, master of none.
          Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Thanks, nice to know the real scoop. Being the contractor guy I am, using lots of air tools etc., we've always used tape. I really appreciate all of the valuable info. that everone has on this site. I'll ditch the tape out of my boat tool box.
            "Jacoba"
            '92 2556
            '98 7.4L MPI, Closed Cooling, Bravo III

Comment

My experiance has been tape leaks abot 50% of the time. Paste never leaks
              Then you are not wrapping it right or putting too much tape on!

But it was developed to use on gas fittings that can't stand oil products.
              Don, no disrespect, as you have helped me huge over the last 5 years, but you are absolutely wrong with this statement. It was developed for the opposite and was years before the approval came to use on gas and even then there was only some approved and it was also color coded.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with T-tape (excluding the issues of grounding). I personally will use a pipe dope and not t-tape on small fittings.

If I decide to use t-tape on a small fitting, it will be a thin t-tape designed for smaller diameter fittings.

Most of the problems come from people not rolling the tape opposite the threads and also wrapping too much tape on fittings.

This statement comes from 23 years of using Teflon tape on fittings from 1/8 inch all the way to 4 inch fittings made from all types of metals and plastics.

Comment

You not using tape on airplanes.

Cause if you were you would be looking for a new job.

With paste you just got to get it on the threads and it spreads itself.

And then you know "you did it right".
                " The Chief Has spokin "

1986 Citation 19' 140 merc motor transplanted Sept. 2008. Stringer drive.
                1976 Arrowglass couger, 76 Evindrude 70 hp.
                1970 Aluminum jon boat 3 hp air cooled sears out board

Be good, be happy, treat people as you would want them to treat you, for tomorrow is promised to no man.

Comment

I always say..... use whatever product makes you feel better about yourself....... just don't come to me lookin for reassurances
                  just because you found it that way does not mean it is supposed to be that way.

Comment

Most of the problems come from people not rolling the tape opposite the threads and also wrapping too much tape on fittings.
                    Ayuh,....

So,..... Using that statement right there,....

I guess you could say that the Paste is Fool-Proof...

You Can't apply Too Much,+ Direction Don't matter....

Comment

Fool-proof, if a fool like me can use it, and not mess it up,

"You know, you did it right"

Heres a link i just posted in another thread, on another part of this forum.

You know he didn't do something right.

I fished that spot the day before. On my boat.
                      http://www.noreast.com/postedreports...date&daysold=7
                      " The Chief Has spokin "

Be good, be happy, treat people as you would want them to treat you, for tomorrow is promised to no man.

Comment

Being a retired pipefitter, I've used teflon tape sucessfully for years quite a bit, on all types of fittings, for WOG (water, oil,& gas). It's not a "cure all", but it has it's uses. I was taught 2 wraps in the direction of the thread is sufficient, and that's usually worked fine for me. It also makes for ease of removal, when, if, & where needed. Generally, if you have a good thread, you really don't need anything on it. I've also used Permatex teflon pipe dope (a lquid marshmellow consistency), or blue aviation sealer. The standard for years in the industry was, and is still used, is black Permatex pipe sealant (that you usually end up wearing and is murder to get off ) it all depends on the application.

Comment

My friend is a plumber he used that black stuff. Its good for other things as well.

If your gonna do plastick pipe nothing beats it, but it's expensive.
                          " The Chief Has spokin "

Comment

Biggest problem with using TT is when you have to take the fitting apart, you often if not always get shreds of tape that can and do migrate down stream causing bigger problems. Never use this stuff on air lines. On large fittings we often use two wraps of TT and then apply dope onto the TT. This makes even the old connections easy to back off.

Comment

I find it amusing to find tef tape on flare and compression fittings.
                              '90 Chaparral 2000SL
                              5.8 Cobra
                              '67 MFG Westfield Regal
                              80hp V-4
                              (No private messages)

Comment

Working...
                              X