Stringer drive help

Spookeay

Seaman Apprentice
I have this 1966 Cobia G24. It has the 300 Buick 220 HP and an older OMC out drive

I am looking for the transom seal/boot or gasket, but can't find this one.
It?s totally round and has 12 holes. The ones I have come across for the 1966 years are square with rounded edges and 16 holes.
Question one, was this particular to the Cobia? Or am I looking for the wrong out drive?:confused:

It?s the electric shift so It?s not much older than 66 but It could have been old stock. When installed.
I don?t know any thing about these old stringers but I?m trying to learn and just need some help getting pointed in the right direction.

I have included a photo.
This is the shape of the gasket.

Attachments

• string.jpg
    string.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Stringer drive help

And i thought they only made 2 different boots. This website don't have it?

Ebasic power might.

Spookeay

Seaman Apprentice

No, I have looked here and other sites. You know, I am starting to work on this OMC with no knowledge of them this old so I am at a loss as to some things. I want to try to find a ID on it but I cant find one in all the places one would look. but there again it has a thick coat of paint on it. I shall check the website. I think I checked there but shall check now just to make sure.:confused:

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might try NAPA auto parts. They have a surprising catalog for marine parts. Fact is I have an old NAPA catalog. May need to find some sheet neoprene and make one.

chiefalen

Captain

this web site has them called transom seal. omc i/o parts.

Spookeay

Seaman Apprentice

Checked with NAPA today and no luck. I guess I may need to just scrap the drive. I hate to because I wanted to restore it to original. Keep a look out, and thanks for the help.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

No, I have looked here and other sites. :confused:

When I was outfitting my 197? something Stringer with some of the more exoctic parts no one had I found these guys quite helpful in sourcing the parts out and getting them for me. I have found up to 4 versions of this transom seal but I have only been able to back to 1968. But, when you get to the site below, search on OMC Part#: 308456.

http://www.marinepartssource.com/

Spookeay

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, Ok well I did the search you sugjested and did find a listing of the parts but with no image of the part it's hard to tell if that is what I will need. As I said in the first post It's outside edge is round and has 12 holes to mount. Most all I have found are the 16 holes and somewhat square. I am starting to think this was made for or by Cobia for the G24 Offshore. But I may be wrong, some one may say,,, "Oh yea I know where one is." or so I am hoping. Thanks.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Hi, Ok well I did the search you sugjested and did find a listing of the parts but with no image of the part it's hard to tell if that is what I will need. As I said in the first post It's outside edge is round and has 12 holes to mount. Most all I have found are the 16 holes and somewhat square. I am starting to think this was made for or by Cobia for the G24 Offshore. But I may be wrong, some one may say,,, "Oh yea I know where one is." or so I am hoping. Thanks.

The OEM part number I gave you is for a round one. I have the numbers for the three other styles if you want them. Understood your situation just fine. Just can't tell how many holes it has from the Diagram I have. I doubt very much you have a seal custom to your G24 Offshore. Give them a call. There are very helpful.

Spookeay

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Lyndy

OK

[I] The OEM part number I gave you is for a round one. [/I]

Sorry, I must not have done it right, all I got was A listing of the part nothing other..... Help me out here on how to see the Diagram.

Just can't tell how many holes it has from the Diagram.

I would bet that is it if it's a round ID, and OD, it must be the one...
I have 2 types I have come across of OMC seal #'s both were some what square on there OD .... and a normal round ID....

I doubt very much you have a seal custom to your G24 Offshore. Give them a call. There are very helpful.

OK I shall call them.Well I did not think I did have a custom seal but I was not having any luck in finding a Model # on the string drive the most important thing to do any thing.,,,,,, Other places I had posted and were looking said, Only 2 types were made... It must have been a Cobia Part but now Maverick Boats has no real info on 66 the models... And I am no stranger to Forums and did not want to just keep hounding with no more info to give the members. than Duhhhhh, It's round and has 12 holes...

I own a automotive repair shop and know how frustrating it is when some one comes into my shop and Has a Thingey Broken,,, and it's about that big. And around the side it hooks up next to the big round thing on the top of the motor....

That's about is clear as mud to me...... And I know my problem is to you all to.

I shall. go back to the site you gave me there and see if I can pull up the diagrams........ A exploded view would be great... Checking back soon.....

Das Spooke Bird...

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

[I] The OEM part number I gave you is for a round one. [/i]

Sorry, I must not have done it right, all I got was A listing of the part nothing other..... Help me out here on how to see the Diagram.

I have OEM Parts Catalogue for 1968 OMC Units. That is where the Diagrams are that I was looking at and is where I got the part# I gave you. Marine Parts Source does not have a picture of it. If you call or email them they will try and source it for you. Just let them know that the Transom Seal has to have 12 holes. I will try to scan the page and upload it here for you.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

what i meant was.......

There is no way that gearcase is holding lube.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

what i meant was.......

There is no way that gearcase is holding lube.

I am sorry, I will rephrase. From this thread and the picture of the outdrive supplied, how did you determine the gearcase could not hold lube?

Spookeay

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Lyndy, I am to the point of pulling the motor and outdrive and took the seal off. Here, does the one in your book like like this?

Attachments

• seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Lyndy, I am to the point of pulling the motor and outdrive and took the seal off. Here, does the one in your book like like this?

Yes it does. I will try to scan the page and upload it here

Spookeay

Seaman Apprentice

OK , Thanks. Did the book give any dimensions? that would be the only point of uploading the picture unless for reserch of others..

I take your word that it looks like it. I am going to call around with that part number and see what I can dig up...

After a close look at this seal, it looks to be ok but I want to get one in-case they are rare and hard to find so I will have one for that rainy day 5 10 years down the road ya know? LOL...

Thanks for all the help... I have a feeling it's going to be the correct one.

Attachments

• striping.jpg
    striping.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

JustJason

Vice Admiral

lyndy said:
I am sorry, I will rephrase. From this thread and the picture of the outdrive supplied, how did you determine the gearcase could not hold lube?

Because anything older than me doesn't hold lube :D

And I can tell just by looking at it that nobody's been inside that drive in a long long time.

I like that exhaust port too. that must be custom.

Spookeay.... in all honesty. That boat is going to break your mentality and break your wallet. If your looking for a challenge or a project, there are plenty of hulls out there for next to free with alphas and pre alphas, stuff that's actually still serviceable.

Pull the drain plugs on the drive and see what comes out.
If you got nuttin your looking at at least a grand. If you get water your looking at 2K plus. If you can even find somebody to fix that relic.

Pull your spark plugs and do a compression test. See if the motor is still worth it.
I had an 88 chris craft 3.0L that i went out to look at the other day. Guy thought he got the boat for a steal at 1000 bucks. He paid 1 mechanic 300 bucks to put a waterpump in the lower. Boat runs on muffs but not in the water. The mechanic was stumped but thought it needed a new carb. So i go out to look at it, first thing i check is compression. 50 to 60psi in all cylinders. I adjust the valves real quick and get them all up to 70. But it's still not enough.
Long story short.... check all the major items first for servicability, the hull, the engine, the drive. If any 1 of them is out then your looking at huge bucks to fix.... in other words.... it's not worth it.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Because anything older than me doesn't hold lube :D

And I can tell just by looking at it that nobody's been inside that drive in a long long time.

Ah! Definetly agree about possible lack of maintainence there. I am older than that system and have sprung no leaks, yet. ;)