Installing A 90 Amp Fuse

plumbbob5000

Cadet
The 90 amp fuse on the starter of my Mercruiser 5.0 needs to be replaced (my screw up :redface: ). Due to the configuration of my boat (Nautic Star 232 DC), this fuse is EXTREMELY hard to get to. Has anyone heard of installing this fuse remote? As in adding a short jumper wire (4 gauge) from the post on the starter to the fuse? I don't like the fact that if this fuse were to blow while away from shore, there is really no way to temporarily bypass the fuse to get home. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Installing A 90 Amp Fuse

Ayuh,....

Either put it back Exactly where it Belongs,....
Or,..
If it was My boat,... I'd just Toss it,+ hook the wire directly to the starter, like it's been done for the last 50 Years....

Those big Fuses are a New Safety feature that some Lawyer decided needed to be there.....

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

You must have seen the wiring pictures posted.
How much do you want to bet, he hacks the wiring to just eliminate the fuse!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 90 amp fuse on the starter of my Mercruiser 5.0 needs to be replaced (my screw up :redface: ).

That "screw up" that blew the fuse to begin with, didn't destroy anything else when you shorted it, because that fuse was there, not a few inches away. When you short it again down there and the fuse is farther away, you will melt something.

plumbbob5000

Cadet

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I decided to go ahead and install the new fuse exactly where I found the old one. I'll just be sure to buy a brighter flashlight so that the next time I'm catfishing at night and my battery dies, I can actually see the trolling motor battery good enough to jump it correctly. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be needing your help again one day. Hopefully not too soon though!

ajnader

Cadet

When this fuse blows what happen to the boat? Does start? Doesn't charge?