economical air / fuel meter, fuel flow, etc...

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
does anyone have any personal experience with reasonably proced air fuel mixture set-ups / meters.

I'm interested in something that would ideally measure air fuel mixture, instantaneous fuel consumption, etc... in order to optimize tuning for performance and fuel economy...

Thanks in advance for any information / experience / thoughts.

tommays

Admiral
Re: economical air / fuel meter, fuel flow, etc...

Other than the many stand alone or GPS fuel flow meters i dont think there is much else out there :confused:

erikgreen

Captain

I don't know of any packages that measure anything other than fuel flow except the ones tailored for a specific engine harness... you can get packages for $1000 or more that will connect into the newer outboards and give you a ton of data.

Personally I installed and configured a Lowrance LMF-400 display and fuel flow sensor and I'm quite happy with it for telling when I'm driving efficiently.

Erik

45Auto

Commander

Only thing I can think of like that is the after-market wide-band O2 sensors like this:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php

I guess you'd have to weld a tube/bung into a manifold (above the water inputs) and hope the moisture doesn't kill it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I guess you'd have to weld a tube/bung into a manifold (above the water inputs) and hope the moisture doesn't kill it.

Not any more, Dennis Moore now has spacers that have integral O2 sensor bungs. Sells them for about $100 each.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

interesting product in the link above... especially if combined with signals from fuel flow meter, engine rpms and gps, could be a very useful set-up for tuning and determining the impact of changes...

The spacers you mention wouldn't fit with my manifolds, but I've got some 1/2" and 3/4" aluminum stock I could use to make make a pair out of - that's if I have enough room under the hatch for the tops of the risers to come up a little. It's tight really tioght.... I've got imco powerflows with long risers, so hopefully water is far enough "downstream" to avoid problems with the sensors... Thanks!

45Auto

Commander

Hope it works out for you, Tim. I've got a couple of friends who use them and are very happy with them. One's in an insanely built Toyota MR2 with the "turbo from he**" on it (I swear he must have stole it off a Peterbilt - thing is huge!) , the other's on a Triumph TR6 with custom TBI in place of the original carbs. Don't know anyone who's done one on a boat. I would if my boat didn't already have all the Smartcraft stuff on it.

Uraijit

Banned

Tracked down those Moore Performance guys on Ebay, and looked at the spacer that was mentioned. If you build your own, I'd built it so that the sensor protrudes deeper into the exhaust stream. With it barely poking though, I can just about guarantee that you'll get a false reading. I would build my own before buying those... Especially at $100 each!

Also keep in mind, with a wideband o2 sensor, the instant water hits the sensor, it's ruined! So you're going to want to make very sure to keep it dry. Keep your exhaust system in excellent shape to avoid water damage. Those wideband o2 sensors ain't cheap!