setting the trim limit on a mercruiser alpha drive

jwid6272

Recruit
Is there a link that shows the correct procedure on setting the trim limit on a mercruiser aphla

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: setting the trim limit on a mercruiser alpha drive

I dont know of a link but I can tell you how its basicly done. Its pretty easy to do.( I see I was beat to it but my instructions are pretty much right on. My measurment is taken from a differant point though.)

What you do is start with the trim limit switch set to where its at the point that it limits the trim pump from running at full trim up. ( you have the limit switch off the gymbal ring )

Then you run the drive all the way full down and check the sender so that it is showing full trim down on the gauge. If that is then set right you then use the trailer switch to trim the drive up until you have 18 5/8" measured from the center of the mounting pins at each end of the trim cylinders. Once thats right you put the trim limit on the gymbal ring and secure it. Run the drive full up (trailer) and see where your gauge is reading, run full down. The gauge should read full down. Run to full trim up and see when the limit switch limits the trim up where your gauge reads so you know that at that point thats where your full up trimed reads on the gauge.

Your all done.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

The only thing I see thats questionable on that link from paulrfrancisco is the measurement.

I know Paul you have a BRAVO I. As also my cruiser has a BRAVO I and mabe thats the measurement for a BRAVO, all though again my measuement is from pin to pin and its 22" on a BRAVO.

ON my ALPHA ( 07 bayliner 185) when the drive is fully trimed "up" or "out" and hits the trim limit there is like only 4" between the end of the ram to the cylinder as shown as 6 1/2 +- 1/4 by the diagram.

So I dont know how old that link is or if its alpha specfic....Just a heads up!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you click the link below, you can download the installation instructions for the trim limit switch and trim sender. Starting on page 8, it details the setting of the trim limit, including how to set the drive and switch initially.

Trim Limit Install Instructions

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Thats what Im talking about...Interesting....My alpha is set a little differantly from the factory. You learn somethign new every day, I like that.

Im keeping a copy of that PDF!

Don S

My alpha is set a little differantly from the factory.

That would be the Bayliner DEALER, not the Mercruiser factory, and yours may not be adjusted correctly. Most dealers receive the boats from the factory, with the drive still in the box. They don't ship the boats with the drives on them. And usually, they don't get adjusted either.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

I see, I also agree as the tach on this boat was incorrectly set when I 1st took it to the water.

My "dealer" is no longer a dealer lol...They just service boats as the business ahs changed and dont sell new boats any more. They are just unloading there old stock.

The boat performs incredibly so I dont want to chage a thing. I dont even use it much now that I have the cruiser.

Is it possible though that that extra 2" differance puts any more strain on the U joints? if so I will make the adjustment.

Don S

You really should start your own thread. Let's not hi-jack jwid's thread.