72 Mercruiser #1 gimble bearing service life

fishrdan

Admiral
I replaced the gimble bearing on my 72 Mercruiser 1 drive (S/N 2913009) while replacing the bellows 2 years ago. After the job was finished, I found out that the carrier should have been installed backwards so the bearing could be flipped 90 degrees and removed from the carrier for greasing. Arrgh, kind of frustrating as I put it back together like I disassembled it.

I have the drive off and rebuilt engine ready to go back in the boat, but now wondering about the gimble bearing. It spins silky smooth, but there's no way to externally grease it on this old #1 drive. Couple of questions;

- how long should a non-greasable gimble bearing last, 10+ years?
- Will removing the bearing and carrier destroy the bearing, I think so

I prefer not to change the gimble bearing if it's good for several years, but have the perfect opportunity install another bearing/carrier so it is removable and greasable in the future.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 72 Mercruiser #1 gimble bearing service life

i think it is a greaseable brg. it's just not greaseable from the outside. ya need to remove the brg. and grease it all by itself. here's a tool to give ya the idea. i think there's other tools out there too...
http://www.mercstuff.com/greasepackingtool.htm
as for which way ya installed the carrier. i think ya did it right. either or really. if ya replace the brg. they just want ya to do the carrier at the same time.
http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/Service/Cruiser/Bullet/85/85_26.pdf
if yer brg. spins icey smooth, it's ok. if ya can feel it at all. it needs to be replaced...

if ya don't have service manual #1, now's the hour. follow this thread....
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=249061

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral

Great info there ziggy!

That's the way I installed the bearing and carrier.

It looks like Merc wants it installed with the slots forward so people replace the bearing and carrier as a matched set, instead of just replacing the bearing. The bulletin does seem to hint that the carrier can be installed backwards for bearing service, but doesn't come right out and say to install the carrier with the slots backward for 72 and older drives. It also mentions that if the bearing and carrier are to be reused (blah, blah, blah) so I guess it's going to be OK to remove the assembly and flip it around so I can get the bearing out for greasing,,, as long as I press it out and don't use a slide hammer.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those old gimbal bearings were non greaseable sealed bearings. They were installed in side a nylon bushing that was shimmed with brass shims to keep it tight. They ran for years with out attention if the did not get wet. If you install the newer greaseable bearing, be prepared to remove it 1 or 2times a year as it will throw the grease out of it and fail. The old bearing Is merc #30-36418. Best of luck, Bill

fishrdan

Admiral

I have the newer aluminum carrier type gimble bearing.

I don't know, maybe I'm being a bit anal about greasing the bearing every year. My buddy had the gimble bearing replaced during outdrive rebuild 10 years ago (before I bought the boat) and I never had problems with the gimble bearing until the bellow started leaking water 2 years ago.

Actually, I didn't have problems with the bearing, just replaced it while servicing the bellows and found it was rough from water intrusion.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Made this from a old outer race

Attachments

• gimbal grease tool.jpg
    gimbal grease tool.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0