2000 5.7L Mercruiser Tilt / Trim Maintenance

bharrod

Recruit
My Tilt / Trim motors run but the outdrive doesn't move. The Marina Mechanic suggested I "service" the tilt / trim. How is that done?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 5.7L Mercruiser Tilt / Trim Maintenance

Assuming you had the drive all the way up and built up pressure, then left it that way. Have someone with some weight bounce on the drive while a lighter person holds the down button down.
The check valves can hang when left pressurized.
Next time you put it up, click down for a second to depressurize the system.

Other than checking the oil, have no idea what "Service" meant. Unless he just didn't know what to do.

bharrod

Recruit

Thanks Don, but it doesn't go up without a lot of help or down without me standing on it so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll check the fluid level. Does it need to be changed?

Don S

Thanks Don, but it doesn't go up without a lot of help or down without me standing on it so I'm not sure what's going on.

If it won't go either direction without help, you have some problems. Is this an Alpha or Bravo drive? Are you in salt or fresh water. Does the oil look new in the pump? Got any pictures of the drive and trim cylinders you can post?

Bondo

Staff member

Does it need to be changed?

Ayuh,......... Not unless it's got Water in it,....Otherwise just Fill it....

You might want to Grease the pivot pins too....

bharrod

Recruit

I'm going to the boat tomorrow. It's a Bravo III used in salt water but kept at a dry storage so the tilt wasn't used much. I'll check the oil, etc and see if there is anything obvious. I don't think it had water in it, the outdrive was pulled and greased less then a year ago. Thanks again.

Don S

It's a Bravo III used in salt water

Pictures would REALLY help here. Seen many threads here on different subjects with a lot of answers that meant nothing after the pictures were posted. And we don't have a clue what you can actually see, but don't recognize as a problem. Especially in salt water boats.

Bondo

Staff member

greased less then a year ago.

Ayuh,........ That's A Long Time....:rolleyes: