VP 5.7 Fuel Flow Meter

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I recently asked the marine electrician if he could install a fuel flow meter/sensor on my 5.7 GI VP but he said that as it was EFI there was no meter available that he was aware of. Apparently the problem (as he explained it to me) is that the ECU requests a goop of fuel and pressurises it but the injectors only use a portion and the rest is returned to the tank on a return line so it is impossible to get an accurate reading.

My previous Mercury Optimax outboard was fuel injected and I used the smartcraft link to link it to my Navman where it gave me instant fuel consumption readings so what's the difference between outboard and inboard fuel injection?

I searched and Garmin offer a GFS10 kit (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11561) but I thought I'd better check before I dive in and buy something I mightn't full understand.

Kind Regards,

David.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 5.7 Fuel Flow Meter

is that the ECU requests a goop of fuel and pressurises it but the injectors only use a portion and the rest is returned to the tank on a return line so it is impossible to get an accurate reading.

Nope, that's not how it works. Volvo's (and Mercruisers) DO NOT have a return to the tank, they have a vapor seperator tank built into the fuel cell, return fuel not used by the injectors is returned to the VST. So any fuel that comes from the fuel tank will be what the engine demands to run
If you put that sensor between the gas tank and the engine, it should work fine. I will also say that I know the Floscan sensors work on marine EFI, I have not had any dealings with Garmin. But if you contact Garmin, I am sure they know which engines work and don't work with their sensors.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As far as I know the Garmin GFS 10 sensor hasn't been released to vendors yet. I've had one on order for over a month now and the vendor says it'll be the end of June or early July before they get stock. The Garmin site doesn't list any specific engine(s) or types of engines that it will or will not work on.

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as I know the Garmin GFS 10 sensor hasn't been released to vendors yet. I've had one on order for over a month now and the vendor says it'll be the end of June or early July before they get stock. The Garmin site doesn't list any specific engine(s) or types of engines that it will or will not work on.

I have the Garmin GPSMap 525s and I believe it has an NMEA port on the back that the sensor should plug straight into. Does this mean I don't need to worry about the Garmin CAANET if I'm only using one additional 'device'?

Also, is it possible to 'piggyback' connections to the tank sensor so by enabling a fuel flow meter I don't kill the fuel gauge?