Manifold removal 3.0 mercruiser??

bigbencher59

Cadet
I am the not so proud owner of a 1997 Bayliner Capri 1950. I think I have a cracked block, but I need to remove the manifold to see the problem. This is a 3.0 mercruiser motor. I don't want to just start taking bolts out blindly. Does anyone no where I can get a good manual that shows how to do this the correct way? OR does anyone here have any advice on removal or pictures??

Thanks

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Manifold removal 3.0 mercruiser??

e-Bay search is one. Order manual from your local Merc dealer is another. Stay away from the Clymer, Seloc manuals. Stick with OEM stuff. Failed to mention if it was your intake or exhaust you were needing to remove. Either way bolt removal is not an issue - replacing them to the correct torque sequence is. So have at it - but find that manual for replacement.

bigbencher59

Cadet

e-Bay search is one. Order manual from your local Merc dealer is another. Stay away from the Clymer, Seloc manuals. Stick with OEM stuff. Failed to mention if it was your intake or exhaust you were needing to remove. Either way bolt removal is not an issue - replacing them to the correct torque sequence is. So have at it - but find that manual for replacement.

Damn, I ordered a Seloc manual before I got back here to check for responses.....

bigbencher59

Cadet

Ok, I got that order canceled and I am ordering an OEM service manual. I will let you know when I get started. I am getting water I thought from the side of the block, but I went home and took a picture and it appears like it is coming from under the exhaust manifold. I want know until I tear it down next week. I am going to post pics step by step in case someone else runs into this problem down the road. Wish me luck! I am mechanically inclined, but never worked on a boat motor before.

Attachments

• DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 6

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Boat motor, car motor - basically the same critter. There are several differences in the guts but nothing really strange. Starter, alternator - all spark proof. Carb cover wire mesh or grill, never paper, and so on.
Does the water appear when the motor is running? A loose or cracked hose close by? Sorry, just throwing out stuff. Good luck - keep us posted on what you find.

bigbencher59

Cadet

Boat motor, car motor - basically the same critter. There are several differences in the guts but nothing really strange. Starter, alternator - all spark proof. Carb cover wire mesh or grill, never paper, and so on.
Does the water appear when the motor is running? A loose or cracked hose close by? Sorry, just throwing out stuff. Good luck - keep us posted on what you find.

Yes, it started out slow while it was running so I thought it might be a head gasket, but the motor wasn't skipping at all. I ran it again the next day and slowly more and more water started streaming from what I thought was the side of the block so I figured a cracked block. I checked the oil and it is a little on the high side, but not milky so I am scared water has gotten into the oil pan. I looked down the oil fill cap and the rockers look clean so I don't know what the hell is going on. The boat had been sitting without be winterized so it could be a number of things...:( I am hoping just the manifold is cracked and I can replace it, but I want know until I get it off....I should have my OEM manual by next week and pray for the best...

Bondo

Staff member

and slowly more and more water started streaming from what I thought was the side of the block so I figured a cracked block.

Ayuh,.....

I think you're going to find a big Crack in the side of the block, just below the deck........
Just above that rust.....

bigbencher59

Cadet

Ayuh,.....

I think you're going to find a big Crack in the side of the block, just below the deck........
Just above that rust.....

Hey brother, you were 100% correct! I tore it down last night and as you can see from the pic it is BAD! Crack is 10 inches long. I have been in touch with "Lock-N-Stitch" and they are going to supply me with the pins I need for repair. I hope it works as good as they claim it does, so wish me luck. I will keep pictures updated with the progress and the finial outcome.

Attachments

• DSC00545.JPG
    DSC00545.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 13

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats the same place mine was cracked:

hgasket3.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I hope it works as good as they claim it does, so wish me luck

With that size crack OUTSIDE, I would be seriously worrried about an internal crack that you can't see. One that will fill your oil full of water in short order. Won't happen if the crack is smaller than the outside one, as the pressure won't be there. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for another engine and not throw money at that block at all.

bigbencher59

Cadet

With that size crack OUTSIDE, I would be seriously worrried about an internal crack that you can't see. One that will fill your oil full of water in short order. Won't happen if the crack is smaller than the outside one, as the pressure won't be there. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for another engine and not throw money at that block at all.

Don, I do have water in my oil, so there has to be a crack internally correct?? So you are saying if the crack on the inside is smaller then than the one on the outside I want get water in my oil??

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Don, I do have water in my oil, so there has to be a crack internally correct?? So you are saying if the crack on the inside is smaller then than the one on the outside I want get water in my oil??
I think he is saying that with an external crack that size & an internal crack that is putting water into your oil, that your block is toast & it is time for a new engine.....;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think he is saying that with an external crack that size & an internal crack that is putting water into your oil, that your block is toast & it is time for a new engine.....;)

That is exactly it.

bigbencher59

Cadet

That is exactly it.

I have one other question:

When I checked the dip stick the level was high and the oil looked clear. When I drained the oil this weekend it was completely black? I am assuming the high level on the dip stick indicates water in the oil, but is there anyway to make sure of this before I trash the block??