Teflon tape on New trim lines?

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OMC Cobra 2.3L.

I am installing a new starboard up trim line and am wondering if I should be using Teflon tape on the fittings? And Do I need to purge the lines now that it has been opened?

Thanks!

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Teflon tape on New trim lines?

I dont beleive you will need teflon tape

Yes I beleive you should connect the lines to the trim pump and pump them full before you attach to the trim cylinders or you will have air trapped. I think its easy to purge the system if air gets trapped by trimming full up and down a few times after the installation.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Teflon tape has no place on a boat at all.
It's always misused, and usually causes more problems than it cures.

Robj

Lieutenant

Teflon tape has no place on a boat at all.
It's always misused, and usually causes more problems than it cures.

Many people use teflon tape to seal pipe threads, but they should really be using a thread sealer paste instead, many of which contain teflon. If those fittings were pipe thread then I would use a sealing paste. However, I do not believe they are, so you do not need a sealer.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Don S

Then use it on your bait tank, just keep it away from your mechanical systems. Ever wonder what the excess does to carbs, fuel pumps, trim pumps and other places where even a minor spec of dirt will screw up something? Trim hoses are not pipe threads, they are flared fittings. Not sealed by the threads at all.
Teflon tape was designed for air/gas systems that could not be used with petroleum products. It's now becoming the "Duct Tape" of pipe thread sealers, and it's not.
Use the proper sealers (when needed). Your OEM service manual will tell you when and what.

Robj

Lieutenant

Ever wonder what the excess does to carbs, fuel pumps, trim pumps and other places where even a minor spec of dirt will screw up something?

Unfortunately the same goes for the sealing paste. When required to use it, just use sparingly, you only need a very little amount, do not goop it on or it will cause problems.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Coors

Captain

Use Perfect seal, or OMC gasket sealing compound.
Use sparingly.

Don S

You DO NOT need any kind of sealant on flared fittings. It does absolutely nothing for the seal. The flare makes the seal, the flare nut does nothing more than put pressure on the flare of the tubing.

Robj

Lieutenant

As Don said DO NOT use teflon or paste or any type of sealer on a flare fitting. It does absolutely nothing as it is not the threads that make the seal but the flare of the fitting. The ONLY type of fitting that you would use a thread sealer is on a pipe thread and this fitting is not pipe thread.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Coors

Captain

The sealing recommendation was for threaded, not flared.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

National pipe threads (Tapered threads) are self sealing .
Teflon tape and pipe dope are for lubricating the threads.
When you install a fitting make sure both male and female parts are clean.
I use a small amount of pipe dope with teflon in it.
Tighten the fitting but don't tighten it.
Just my 2 Cents
Beef

Robj

Lieutenant

National pipe threads (Tapered threads) are self sealing .
Teflon tape and pipe dope are for lubricating the threads.

Kind of, at least they are designed to be that way. However the seal made between two pipe thread fittings is not perfect. That is why you use a thread sealer to seal up the small voids that exist between the male and female threads on NPT fittings. Without the sealer they may leak or sweat, especially in higher pressure applications.

I usually tighten NPT fittings pretty tight, but you are correct you don't want to over tighten them.

Have a great day,

Rob.