stern drive leaking out weep hole

jock-itch

Recruit
i just purchased a used sea ray open bow. 1997 merc 3.0. i used it 3 times and now the stern drive is leaking fluid out the weep holes???? in my driveway is this bad or something simple????

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: stern drive leaking out weep hole

Water or oil?

Robj

Lieutenant

Where are these weep holes, maybe in the exhaust bellows? What type of fluid? Are y ou sure that it wasn't doing it before? Need some more info before your questions can be answered.

Have a great day,

Rob.

jock-itch

Recruit

yes, green oil. ive had the boat in the water 3times and didnt notice before, but maybe i just missed it.(doubt it). weep holes are where the top and bottom of the stern drive bolt together. one on each side. oil is only coming out of the (right or same side as boat driver). i didnt know i was supposed to lower drive when in drive way. would that make a difference??? thanks a bunch for your time.

thanks chris schwab, puyallup, washington

MurphysLaw

Cadet

What outdrive is it? Are you refering to the port where the oil passes between the upper and lower? If so, thats an eay fix, seperate em and replace the small gasket there. Or are the weep holes vent holes? If thats the case, then you probabily got water in there. Take out your bottom drain plug with a pan under it. If water comes out first(oil being heavier than water), then oil, you know what your problem is, now you just have to trace it down. Could be a bad impellor housing or maybe a bad seal

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, green oil. ive had the boat in the water 3times and didnt notice before, but maybe i just missed it.(doubt it). weep holes are where the top and bottom of the stern drive bolt together. one on each side. oil is only coming out of the (right or same side as boat driver). i didnt know i was supposed to lower drive when in drive way. would that make a difference??? thanks a bunch for your time.

thanks chris schwab, puyallup, washington

There's an o-ring that seals the passageway where the 2 halves meet. You need to separate the bottom and check to see what kind of shape the o-ring's in.

Capt Ken

Commander

If its coming from the weep hole then you are leaking at either the lower seal on the upper housing or the shift shaft seal in the lower housing. If I was a betting man, I would say its the shift shaft seal.

Alumarine

Captain

If it's leaking here, then as others have said it could very well be the lower shift shaft seal.

leaking%20gear%20lube%20hole.jpg

gamarines2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had oil leaking there, and it turned out to be the lower seal on the driveshaft housing. The only special tool you will need to do this job is the retainer ring wrench. It's not that bad a job.

flyinghi5

Cadet

If its coming from the weep hole then you are leaking at either the lower seal on the upper housing or the shift shaft seal in the lower housing. If I was a betting man, I would say its the shift shaft seal.

I concur with Capt. Ken...shaft seals