2655 Bayliner, No Electrical Power at Fuse Panel

waterside

Cadet
My 1996 2655 Cierra died while trying to start the engine. It has a 5.7 Mercruiser with an Alpha I and Thunderbolt ignition. I have no power to any of my gages or systems (blower, bilge, radio etc.). When I turn the key, nothing happens, not even a click. I checked the red engine reset button, the ignition switch and the slave solenoid. I also ohmed out the switch on the fwd/rev linkage to ensure it was operating. All look operational with an ohm meter, but I can get no voltage readings. I then checked the main fuse panel terminals and have no voltage. The batteries check good (13.5 volts) and the engine ground terminal as well as all other terminals are corrosion free. The only thing I have not checked is the battery selector switch and the lanyard kill switch. Can anyone tell me if they have seen a problem like this. Would the lanyard kill switch cause this problem. I though I would still have power to the bilge pumps and lights if it were bad. Is there a main fuse that I'm just not seeing. Can the battery selector switch be opened up to be checked/repaired?

Thanks,
Joe

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2655 Bayliner, No Electrical Power at Fuse Panel

Can the battery selector switch be opened up to be checked/repaired?

Ayuh,......... That's Where I'd start..........

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats......:)
Sounds like the battery switch is the culprit.....
Bypass it temporarily to see if it is bad or just jumper it to see if it restores the gauges.....
You might be able to pull it apart, but is it really worth fixing?....
I would just replace it if defective.....
The lanyard kill switch should only affect the starting & ignition circuits........;)

waterside

Cadet

Thanks. I was going to jumper the battery switch out last evening but ran out of daylight and patience. I appreciate all the good technical advise on this forum. I let the board know what I find tomorrow.

Thanks,
Joe