4.3L Mercruiser timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipster

Cadet
I have a distributor and coil, but have electronic ignition. Where does the shunt clip from and to when trying to make the electronic advance go to 'base' timing? What does a 'shunt' look like, and can I make one myself?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 4.3L Mercruiser timing

The shunt plugs into the ignition module. You'll see there's two sockets, one is used and one is covered. It plugs into the covered one. I think the pins are too close together to make your own, and they're cheap so it's not really worth it anyway. It looks like a plug with a loop and another wire...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think the first thing one needs to know is what distributor you have, and what year?
The Thunderbolt IV or V doen't take a shunt at. The TB4 times like a point system, the TB5 has a method of putting into base timing, but it's not a shunt.
Only the EST distributor requires a shunt.

Pipster

Cadet

It's a common looking 6 cylinder distributor like in a car. It has 2 wires coming out the front base-one white/green stripe and one white/orange stripe. On the back of the distributor is a mounted module with part # 807829-1 on it. It's about 2 1/2 " by 3 1/2 " by 1/2 " thick. It says 4.3LX/LXH Alpha on it. I believe it is an electronic advance system and the distributor has no points inside. I am not familiar with the Thunderbolt IV/V terminology. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Could you post the engine serial number?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

TB520timing20instructions.png

Pipster

Cadet

Thanks for that Reel Poor. Here are a couple of tidbits from Mercruiser Tech in Stillwater, OK I found. I hope it's ok that I post their # here. 405-743-6566
I spoke with a great guy named Brad and he shipped these items down to me lickity split. It really helped. I found the Purple/White wire at the bow/starboard of the engine just laying there waiting to be used! It had a female push plug attachment. I made a wire with a male push plug attachment/round hole connector and voila' that's all there was to it.
Got the timing set to 8 deg/BTDC, tightened the distributor and it was still right on 8 deg/BTDC. Thanks to you all for your help.

Attachments

• Merctim1.jpg
    Merctim1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Merctim2.jpg
    Merctim2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 56

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Not a problem but will have to pass on the thanks to Don S for originally posting the outline. :)

Pipster

Cadet

Then my thanks to Don S as well. Cheers! Happy boating all.:p

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

All well and good for the Thunderbolt V, but I have a Thunderbolt IV on a 1989 4.3 Mercruiser and I'm trying to time it right now and can't find how to put it into base timing mode. Service Manual doesn't mention it in the timing section and I read on Iboat forums that there is no purple wire on the Thunderbolt IV.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Start a new thread with your question. not a dozen posts in on someone elses 2 year old post.

Status
Not open for further replies.