Battery brand/size - Everstart MAXX Marine

vampirefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey I have a questions regarding batteries. I have another thread going in electronics (and have gotten some great advice) but no one knows the size I would need for my engine (please see my signature). I don't troll, only water sports. Also have a cd player but don't really play it for extended periods without starting engine up (call me paranoid).

1) Went to Wallyworld today during lunch and looked at their Everstart MAXX Marine 29 (the largest they sell). If I need a new battery, would this be sufficient - Everstart MAXX Marine deep cycle/starting 875 ca/125 am hours, 205 reserve. It will cost me about 68 clams. The current battery in my boat is a starting/auto battery (same one when I bought it last year). Should I stay away from this brand (Everstart)? Any experiences out there...?

2) Charging... since I have a 10/6/2 amp charger, when maintaining a deep cycle/starting battery (as above), should I charge at 2 amps 1x/mo? My charger will stop and float the battery then quit charging. This is what I have http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=15577 I have been charging all of my 12v batteries (after winter) using 10amp..... per the instructions, but in reading through this forum, sounds like the lower the better? Is that for just during the winter/maintenance?

seasure1

Cadet
Re: Battery brand/size - Everstart MAXX Marine

That battery would work fine. As far as charging, if you use it as you say the battery should be pretty well charged by the time you are done running the boat. So I would set the charger low.

vampirefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! Yeah... when I started using the charger, I just read directions and used 10amp for the larger batteries. And I did a no no with just taking out both my boat and rv battery for the winter, putting them in my garage and not touching them until this spring to fully charge at 10amps. I will no longer do this.

Coors

Captain

The largest battery that will fit is the correct one; don't use a deep cycle for starting.

vampirefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok.... enter: confusion

so this battery states that it is a start/deep cycle battery - Specs: Everstart MAXX Marine starting/deep cycle 875 ca/125 am hours, 205 reserve

so is this really just a deep cycle..? is there no such thing as a starting/deep cycle?

Coors

Captain

The theory is, stated by the people that make them- a start battery charges up very fast, a deep cycle takes 12 hours or so. How can you combine it? The plates are different, etc. I just throw an extra deep cycle into the boat to run accessories, and re-charge it during the week.

vampirefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

veddy veddy interesting... sounds like misleading marketing. well, hell... I don't want (or really need) 2 batteries! i wonder what people use for just 1 battery...?

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just use a good interstate auto battery....no charger....started right up after winter storage this year.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

Also you should charge a battery at a maximum of one tenth of its capacity to have maximum battery life. If your battery is rated at 40 amp hours, you should never charge it at more than 4 amps (one tenth of its capacity) charging it at a higher curent will cause the plates inside the battery to heat, which can then make them warp and short out (ruining your battery)!! You also get excessive hydrogen produced when you overcharge a lead acid battery, on a boat where the battery is usually in a confined engined bay, you don't want large amounts of hydrogen!! It has interesting properties when mixed with a spark from an engine or electrical circuit!

The general rule as you already stated, the lower the charge the better (It just takes longer to recharge). If you don't have enough time then increase the charging current, but you will reduce your batteries service life and could damage the battery.

Gary

vampirefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all... I bought the Everstart MAXX Marine starting/deep cycle 875 mca/125 am hours, 205 reserve. This is 2x recommended (minimum) amount of mca (marine cranking amps) that my service manual calls for. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but when I got my old battery tested...well, first off it was a group 24 (deep cycle - not starting) with no specs on the label.. I saw an 80h (not sure what that stood for) and when tested, it tested at 164 ca! Yikes - no wonder it took a while to coax her to start!