1987 Bayliner Capri 18 ft. 135HP I/O: Enough power? Pull skiiers?

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With 5 adults in the boat and 1 adult skiier. Do you think the boat would have enough power to pull the skiier? I don't mind switching props, but I would like to keep a top speed of 35 MPH atleast.

Does going to a very low pitch prop decrease gas milleage?

Thanks

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 Bayliner Capri 18 ft. 135HP I/O: Enough power? Pull skiiers?

I think 5 adults plus a skier and 35mph is optimistic at best.

Absolutely, just like driving your car around all day in third gear would.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My bad, 35 MPH without a skiier on a calm day.

Bondo

Staff member

That's Way Past Optimistic,........ That's more Fantasy......

Leave everybody but your Spotter on shore if you want to Ski a 3.0l............

And,..... A Numerically Lower pitched Prop would be like driving around in 1st Gear,........
Not 3rd........

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And,..... A Numerically Lower pitched Prop would be like driving around in 1st Gear,........
Not 3rd........

I have curiosity questions here now. When I used to use my dads large 16' starcraft (aluminum) with walkthrough windshield and 75 horsepower outboard merc... We would pull 240lb knee boarders with 5 adults in the boat. The only problem was that it would take maybe 3-4 second to get up to a stable speed for the knee boarder, but that was hardly a problem for experienced knee boarders. So, I would think that 80% more horsepower on a 20% larger boat should be able to do the same.

So, I can contribute the lack of power I'm being told about the bayliner on a number of things.

1. Fiberglass is that much heavier than aluminum. However, I've been told that fiberglass actually gets better gas mileage than aluminum because of less water resistance due to the smooth fiberglass design.

2. Outboards are that much better than inboard.

3. I said skiing in my post and my memories are from knee boarding.

4. Just differences in taste and just what people think is reasonable.

Realize that I am not trying to get the answer that I want. I am trying to get the right answer and understand the roots of the answer. For instance, I was told by lots of people that 5 people in that 16 footer and a knee boarder is insane... but you know what? We had a blast every single day we were out there.

So, if the bayliner would perform like the 16' starcraft with a 75 HP outboard, I'm pretty sure I would be happy, but I would like a little more than the starcraft.

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not 3rd........

I would have to disagree there, mainly because i tow a 200 lb skier with my 17 foot four winns, with a 3.0 volvo penta all day long. I use a 18 pitch prop when i have 3-4 people in boat + skier, no issues. stiletto bay pro, 4 blade, SS. Boat tops out 30mph with all our azzes in the boat with the 18 pitch at roughly 3/4 throttle since anymore and i will over -rev. I dont normally have that many folks in the boat, usually 4 total, 3 in boat 1 skier, and use a 20 pitch then.

Robj

Lieutenant

My 14 foot fishing boat with a 40 hp Merc, pulled me waterskiing with 2 people in the boat, at about 3000 feet elevation. I weigh 200 lbs. You should be OK with that power. You will not break speed records, but it will also be easier on fuel than a big V8.

Have a great day,

Rob.

DMH

Recruit

Just found this site a couple of days ago and really like it. Lots of info.

I have a 1985 19' Bayliner with the AQ130 Volvo pushing a 270 Penta. I have had 4-5 people (including me) in the boat and have had not too much problem pulling 2 slalom skiers. Of course, I do have a 7' skier/wakeboarder pole mounted just in front of the engine housing, and that really does the trick in pulling skiers and wakeboarders.

Like was said earlier, you will not (I don't) be setting any speed records, but it will have the pulling power.

DMH

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well lots of smaller boats from that era (Bayliners especially) are full of waterlogged floatation foam and weigh a lot more than when new. This will really have an effect on one with a smaller engine. Also, a 22 yr. old engine rarely performs quite as well.

That said, you may be OK if the boat isn't overweight and the engine is perfect. Still, 5 adults is a lot of extra weight for a smallish boat and engine. Sounds like some have done it successfully though.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Send 3 of the adults to town..one for beer, one for food, one for gas....3 get to have fun in the boat, then just a simple matter of rotation:D
PS. Those bayliners run fine with little person weight in the boat..its the nature of the hull. My 125 OB runs fine, but really loses performance when the freeloaders show up at the dock (unless they have the beer/food/etc)

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

How long do you have to drag a skier before the get up? I have skied behind several under powered boats but I can hold on long enough to get up on plane. Doubles or a wide ski will help. I thing weak or inexperienced skiers would have a hard time. A knee board is simular to a wake board the both plane out at lower speeds. You would definitly want a power prop to switch out when it's time to ski,

freddyray21

Commander

I have a 18 ft Searay with a 120hp Mercruiser and I pull skiers slalom and other wise with it. Did it last weekend with four in the boat and one on ski's.