Is an outboard faster than a Inboard?

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering if you had two for the same boats one with a 115hp outboard and a 115 hp inboard what one would be faster?

My boat for example comes in both trim version inboard and outboard. Just curious. I would think an outboard.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is an outboard faster than a Inboard?

I would think outboard too....
It would be lighter......;)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

inboard, more room to hide the nitrous bottle

KaGee

Admiral

What type of outboard? 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Bondo

Staff member

Well,....... There Aren't any 115hp I/Os,.......

And,.....

Outboards don't come with anymore than about 300hp........
But Twice that is not unknown in the I/O world......

As noted,........
This is an Unanswerable Question,....... Tooo many Variables.......

QC

Supreme Mariner

While Bondo is correct, the answer, if they are close to the same prop shaft horsepower, is that the OB will be significantly faster. Even 4 strokes are typically 400 - 500 lbs lighter than an I/O. BTW, Yamaha just announced a 350 V8, 4 stroke OB :eek:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

An equal HP Evinrude ETEC would probably blow a Sterndrive out of the water since they are much lighter.

I think the 225 ETEC weighs about 100lbs less than comparable 225 4 stroke OB....

Assuming it was propped correctly......

f_inscreenname

Commander

To me its always what is more cost affective. I just spent about 3 grand so I could install a 454 with about 360hp. To get 360hp in a outboard I am sure it would cost me ten times that.
So yes a outboard is faster because everything is lighter including your wallet.
But then there is, the weight of a class of I/O motors (ie small block Chevy) is around the same weight no matter what HP you get out of it. Just look at Nascar motors. 800+hp out of a (I think) 351ci block. For the HP from that motor the weight is nothing. So I guess it really comes down to weight and how many HP you get per pound is the better motor. Being the average person is not going to build a Nascar motor for a boat the outboard ends up being a better choice for most.