Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Cracked Gimbal/Transom Housing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked Gimbal/Transom Housing

Attached Files

Re: Cracked Gimbal/Transom Housing

You DO need another gimbal housing. Cracks like that are usually caused either by serious impact, or the transom of the boat was not flat and cracked the housing when it was tightened down.
    A used housing would be fine, as long as it isn't worn out.
    As far as how much labor, who knows. Not all 23' cruiisers are the same for accessability. I would guess anywhere from 8 to 20 hours depending on access. That is if the transom is ok.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I would be VERY cautious here!

It *MIGHT* be possible to weld it with a TIG (GTAW) welder. I would remove it, completely from the boat (I.E pull the drive, engine and transom assy) ... completely disassemble and glass bead blast the area to be welded. then carefully grind a groove on both sides of the crack with a grinder that is ONLY used to grind aluminum (to prevent contamination) Then and only then use the correct alloy of filler rod to weld. The time and care needed to do this would in my opinion not be worth it since it would be FAR cheaper and safer to replace it with a good used one!

...... This is a dealer? can you get your money back? I would probably call a lawyer.

I wouldn't take that boat off the trailer after a "repair" like that! That scares me almost as much as a T-Tail Jackscrew!

Sorry for the "frank" answer.

I'm not Frank.......

Regards,

Rick
      1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Originally an OMC 460 King Cobra.
      Re-powered in 2006 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III

Comment

I broke the gimbal housing on my bell boy last summer. I don't know which outdrive you have, but after lots of hunting around on ebay and craigslist I found all the parts I need for about $300. I have it partly removed and later this month I am going to set up a beam in my shop to pull the motor. I think I can get the whole thing done in a weekend.

I hit a unseen submerged object, probably submerged log, and I started sinking fast! I needed coast guard assistance to get back to the boat ramp.
        74 Bell Boy 17' runabout, Yamaha P60
        69 Boston Whaler 13', Johnson 40
        59 Lido 14 sailboat, in progress
        too many kayaks to count!

Comment

"this would be a fortune to fix"... scary... in other words, what they are saying is:
          "if we fix it right, and put your the boat into the condition we represented it when we sold it to you, we will lose money, or maybe break even and not get rich from ripping people off, so screw you... you lose mr. customer...happy sinking"

Good advice above- look for the parts on eBay, fix it yourself. I wouldn't trust them to fix it when the mechanic is under the gun to do it as cheaply as possible and as fast as possible.

The alignment of the gimbal bearing will never be right on a cracked/welded housing. You might fail gimbal bearings frequently. The crack happenned because the housing wouldn't bend. The crack happenned to let things move when the impact took place. I'd think you'll want to inspect the boat's transom once the housing is removed. I'll bet it's fine, but what if the wood/glass is damaged... you're going in the ocean?...

Comment

It should be replaced.....
            If it fails, you are going down fast.......
            Disclaimer!: In my inexpert opinion......

Comment

Comment

that's Gen II.
                http://www.marinepowerservice.com/Bo...%20HOUSING.cfm

Comment

I think i would mention an attorney to the dealer and ask for the money back.I'm sure they had checked the boat over when they took in on trade.They knew it was cracked and put some epoxy on hoping it would last awhile.That is so wrong!I would contact your local news channel also and smear thier name all over tv for risking you and your passengers lives!
                  bass turds...

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

What Gary said. new one free, or $ back- no half- a *** repairs

Comment

Well, they called to say the boat was ready for pickup. I went there and was sticking to my guns. Suprisingly I didn't have to really demand or argue. One I mentioned I felt safer having the Gimbal housing replaced, they only replied it will take 3-4 weeks. I think they realised what they did was unsafe, or they knew I wasn't falling for it. So they drew up a new work order where I stated I wanted to inspect the new part prior to installation and that was it. No hostility, but I could tell the broker was depressed and very quiet (obviously because he knew his profit just went out the door). If all works out, I will have more respect for this company.

So hopefully in a month I can get out on the water... Fingers crossed.

JR

Comment

thats great! I would also want a look at the transom while they have it apart. I'm glad they are doing the right thing..

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

Working...
                        X