Best Carb For 351W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
I'm trying to figger out what to go with......
I have a 4 barrell intake......;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best Carb For 351W?

Yer gonna get a lot of opinions here Haut. So I'll take the first shot. I'd get a rebuilt Holley 4160 600 cfm Marine carb for that 351.

In my recent quandry, I enlisted the opionion of a very knowledgeable Ford small block guy on the Ford Windsor Forum. This is the same guy that guided me in building my stroked 302 that got stolen. Here is the link.

Not a lot of specifics here but the message between Holley and Edelbrock is loud and clear.

The third topic down.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119417/

Here also is a link for a rebuilt Holley. Just make sure the one you get is set up for the 351.

Look down the list till you see this description. It would cost you about $225 w/o a core.

ALL MARINE
HOLLEY 4BBL'S
Ford & Chevy Engines
600 CFM

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/marine.htm

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey Haut. You'd think this post was a political hot potato or something.8) I thought for sure you would have a bazillion opinions by now.

Bondo

Staff member

Not a lot of specifics here but the message between Holley and Edelbrock is loud and clear.

Ayuh,..........

All I see is You Bad-mouthing the Edlebrock,+ Praising the Holley............

Just because None of the other 3 posters are Disagreeing with you,......
Doesn't send That Clear of a Message,......

It just means you happen to find 3 guys who happen to like Holleys.....
Or know you well enough Not to Argue...................d:)

I happen to Love the Carter AFB Clones Myself........

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

What do you have the most experance with? either of the carbs mentioned will work well on the 351. Are ya looking for, a bolt on and go, or do ya want to tinker with it?? I use to prefer the Holleys, but the more I get to know about the Edlebrock the more I like it.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I want one that I don't have to fiddle with too much....
I'm probably gonna go with the Holley 80319.....;)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I've found my Weber to be fiddle free, and no leaks.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Haut, FWIW The Weber,Carter AFB, and Edlebrock all pretty much the same carb if memory serves me correctly.

Hannesen

Recruit
I understand that I was a little late for the party, but I have some interesting observations that I want to share.

I would think the 650 would be plenty.
If you want to be sure, stick a vacuum gauge on it and run it up at wot.
If the vacuum goes over 1" of vacuum, I would go bigger.

What intake are you running? What is your base and total timing? Have you verified WOT? What pressure are you running in the fuel system?

Your fuel pressure should NEVER drop during a run. If it does you are running out of volume. In efi cars I know that a vehicle can loose as much as 50% of it's fuel volume and still show pressure within 2psi of spec. So if your gauge is dropping you have an issue.

How is your fuel system set up? The way I set them up to prevent the regulator from being a restriction is to run the inlet fuel to a fuel log on the carb and put the regulator after the carb. This allows full fuel pump volume to get to the carb.

There are a lot of things that can make a car go flat. Keep giving us data and we'll help you figure it out.

Other question how to choose good carb.
Some advise hot to calculate your carb requirment:

The formula for calculating how much CFM (cubic feet per minute) an engine requires is:

CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency ÷ 3456.

When you apply this to any engine, consider that the volumetric efficiency of stock is 80%, a slight upgrade with average bolt-on have a volumetric efficiency of around 85%, and race engines will range from 95% up to 110%.

carburetor-for-351-windsor-info-1-jpg-e1542899971321.jpg

To calculate the CFM requirement of an engine would then look like this:

351W engine x 4,000 max rpm = 1,404,000

1,404,000 x .85 = 1,193,400

1,193,400 ÷ 3456 = 345 CFM

This means that the best stock CFM for a 351 Windsor like this https://mechanicfaq.com/сarburetors-for-351-windsor/ would be around 350, anything above 400 will deliver performance improvements, anything under will deliver stock performance.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I understand that I was a little late for the party, ...

Yes, a little over 10 years late...

Please read our forum rules relating to posting to old threads (anything over 90 days is considered 'old')....

This thread is closed....

Status
Not open for further replies.