Floscan installation query

I'm interested in installing a Floscan unit on my '79 Cruisers Inc ( 25' Bar Harbor model ) that i had repowered in1998 with a new 454( 7.4L)MPI Mercruiser IO
The installation manual ( that I kept ) says on the page about their electric fuel pump in one of those "! Caution" boxes:
" The electric fuel pump and the factory installed water separating fuel filter have been carefully designed to function properly together. Do not instal additional fuel filters and/or water separating fuel filters between the fuel tank and engine. "
But Floscan recommends another filter between the fuel and the Floscan transducer.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Best Regards,
GGK

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Floscan installation query

The filter that they recommend is a high flow filter (2 microns if I remember correctly) which screws directly into the flow sensor. It will be fine. It won't trap water or small trash. It will only stop large particals that may damage the flow sensor.

Reel said:
The filter that they recommend is a high flow filter (2 microns if I remember correctly) which screws directly into the flow sensor. It will be fine. It won't trap water or small trash. It will only stop large particals that may damage the flow sensor.

Reel Poor,

I'm not trying to be a contrarian but to quote the "manual" some more:

"The installation of additional filters may cause:
..>Fuel vapor lock
..>Difficult warm starting
..>Piston detonation due to lean fuel mixture
..>Poor driveability

Maybe the installed filter should not be rated at such a fine micron number so as not to create so much back pressure in the fuel line Thoughts?

Best Regards,
GGK.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Sorry I meant to say 2 hundred microns. I'll get you a phone number and brand name tomorrow. The filters I use on my Twin Scan series has a replaceable screen filter. The screen looks a lot like a pipe screen.

Many thanks , Reel Poor. Now that filter # makes more sense I'll keep an eye open for your follow up on the actual filter info.
GGK

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Here's the filter info, just click HERE. I'm running the 6180-01 filter, its 238 microns and 1/4 npt pipe thread.

If you have a local high performance speed shop you may be able to pick one up there.