Anti Fouling Paint for Outdrive

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The outdrive on my 1977 Carver Santa Cruz is a Volvo Penta 280.
Does this outdrive require painting ? (I am having it hauled to paint the bottom soon). The boatyard wants $450.00 and up to do this service and they do not remove it from the boat. So it is masked and sanded then painted. How well can they protect it and is it worth it or even necessary. The Zincs are changed regularily.

I appreciate your input.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Anti Fouling Paint for Outdrive

If you boat in waters that require bottom painting then you surely need to af paint the drive.l

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It looks like the original paint, or do they try to match the color. I have no records on the outdrive being painted before. If so, is it the usual 3 years or less time frame?

f_inscreenname

Commander

If nothing is on it them leave it alone. Well repaint it because it should be. If it is fouled up you might as well paint it with the bottom paint. Just don't paint the zincs.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

is it true that bottom paint doesnt mix well with bare steel or aluminum. it must be primed with special stuff before the bottom paint hits it or the outdrive will become the zincs!! youll get major corrosion between the copper and aluminum.

xtraham

Lieutenant

there is a special paint for outdrives (aluminum) the coppious in bottom paint will turn your drive into a under water battery, I have seen them come out of the water and look like they were bleeding puss from copper paint

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class

xtraham is right. I've seen the special anti-fouling paint in a spray can at West Marine. There is also a special outdrive primer in a spray can. If you have bare aluminum, you need to prep the area and use the primer then the anti-fouling spray.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

VisionIsle, Whether to use antifoulant on the drive really depends on what shape it's in & how clean you can keep it. I have mine painted with the factory (Merc) black & no antifoulant. I keep it in the water & the bottom is painted, but I use it once or twice a week & can get into shallow water to brush off what little growth builds up regularly so it stays pretty clean. If you want to "set it & forget it", use the antifoulant that is specifically for drives, but not bottom paint. If you want to do it yourself, it requires a lot of hand sanding & masking - figure on a good 6-8 hrs work (that explains the high cost from the yard) plus about 3 cans each of the primer, factory color & clear antifoulant.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

$40 at any boat shop. Primer and paint...Trilux. Do it yourself

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Just curious...is the need to re-paint your outdrive just something that salt water going boats need? Reason I ask is because the V/P 270 outdrive on my boat, which has only seen saltwater a few times in it's 34 year old life, is in remarkably good condition with just a few small areas where the paint has come off. My boat is also almost always on the trailer and has also never spent more than a couple weeks in the water at one time.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

am dew - if you keep it trailered a good percent of the time & it still looks OK, you may never have to paint it completely. I would recommend touching up any bare spots. Any serious corrosion issues would be obvious (paint severely bubbled & flaking off with white "powdery" oxidation poking thru). If yours looks as good as you say, you most likely have no problems. I like to keep mine nice & shiny so I re-do it every few seasons8)

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Stevieray. So, and sorry for being ignorant here, but the real practical purpose of repainting is to stop corrosion? I will check it closer but I think my drive is in pretty good shape.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's about it.....and for looks.;)

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I must say that is enough information to go on. I appreciate everyones input on the subject. I guess what left is to have the boat hauled and see its condition for myself. Thanks!