Ski Nautique Temp Gauge Problem

reniell1969

Cadet
My '89 Ski Nautique (Ford 351) overheated due to impeller failure in the external water pump. I replaced the impeller and the boat runs great. But the temp gauge continued to show overheating (in error). I replaced the temp gauge and thermostat (both, now twice) as well as the sensor on the engine block -- but the new gauge still doesn't work. Occasionally, the red light comes on, but I know she's running fine. Appreciate any ideas?

Alumarine

Captain
Re: Ski Nautique Temp Gauge Problem

You could temporarily hook up a manual guage to the block to verify the reading.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

How do you "know" it's not getting hot.

ross_larter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When my Ford 351 in my ski boat is running i can lay my hand on risers for a good 5 seconds, can you do that with yours or are they very hot to touch?

reniell1969

Cadet

It can't be overheating because I can see plenty of water coming out back when running on the trailer and can hold / touch the manifold and block for quite some time. It also runs just fine at full throttle in the water all day long. I just can't seem to get a gauge working???

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I hope you didn't use any teflon tape on the sender. The sender has to be able to ground through the threads.

Disconect the wire on the sender and touch it to a good ground, the guage should peg out (key on engine off). If it does not peg out there is a problem with the wiring or the guage. If it does peg out the problem is with the connector or the sender unit.