1987 bayliner 2855 sunbridge hydraulic trim tabs

bambam071578

Recruit
can anyone tell me how to fill the hydraulic resivor for the hydraulic trim tabs. not the power tilt on the out drive but the trim tabs themselves it has seperate lines and resivor then the out drive. it has a black motor on top of a yellow box that has full and add on it but no caps the black motor has to lines that run to the left and right trim tabs. this boat has an OMC 5.7 liter with cobra outdrive

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 bayliner 2855 sunbridge hydraulic trim tabs

Sounds like Bennett trim tab system. Go to the link below and you will find every thing you ever wanted to know about them there.
PS, while you are having fun at the site, the fill is on the front of the reservoir under that plastic cover.
It's a small black cap. You can find the answer in the FAQ, also in the link below.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

bambam071578

Recruit

not sure did look at site and looks alot like the system on board. are you saying the plastic cover that is on top and has the hoses running to it i think it has three screws that hold it onto the reservoir. if i remove these three screws it should lift off correct. i apoligise i am new to boating and not sure about all these things

Don S

I'm only guessing by your description. Look at the link. If it's not what you have, then a picture of what you have would be handy. A previous owner may have replaced the original system.
Bayliners back then normally used the Boat Leveler type system.

bambam071578

Recruit

ok it is a Bennett system i filled it up tonight and got the tabs working some what the tab on the right side looking toward the bow of the boat is working great goes up and goes down the one on the left does not do anything thought it might be stuck so i stood on the swim platform and tried to move it with my foot and i can get it up and down by applying pressure to it so the cylinder is not stuck pulled the motor off the reservoir to look at the pick up tube seems fine the motor was a little warm like it was over working when i was trying to get the left tab to move what could be the problem

Don S

You may have a solenoid on the pump not working or the wiring to it is defective or a bad switch. Impossible to say for sure, but if you go to the Bennett site link I gave you earlier and locate the troubleshooting section.
With that and a meter, you will find the problem.