Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
  • Dear Community Members,

Over the last two years, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability, performance, and security. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance have revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software our site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this user experience to all members. We will be updating to a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change. What’s next?

When will this be happening? The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 9/30/2020! The whole transition should take 24-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Management

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercruiser 3.0 water pump will not turn,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser 3.0 water pump will not turn,

Today I took the boat out on the water for the first time ( Sea Ray 170) in 7 or so years. The boat ran grand but was running a little hot and would then cool down a bit and seemed fine. I had the boat under full acceleration and then it just died and cut power ( i found the problem for that was the connector fell off the coil... This one some hours later i fixed this problem). On the water the boat was turning over find but would not start ( cause of the lose connection) but the gauge was than jump from 140 degrees to say 170 3/4 towards the top). I took the boat out of the water and left it in the shed and a few hours later i came back and reconnected the wirer and it fired and ran but i turned it off straight away as i noticed the water pump was not turning, ( could this have been caused cause the impeller was worn and then cause the water pump to over heat and sized ( when less turning before this it was turning fine), Ive order a new water pump, impeller and thermostat to be safe. Should this solve the problem?, Ive only ordered the impeller with out realising i need other parts too, like the gaskets etc, Should i order them too or will i get away with already is there and just change the impeller, Any advice would be much appreciated.

Stephen

welcome aboard

sitting for 7 years would have roached the raw water impeller

it could have also had bad water pump seals. then when you ran it, that roached your circulating pump

hope you ran it on muffs and didnt fire it up without muffs

I would get a complete raw water pump assembly including the housing, etc.

you should do a complete stem to stern maintenance event, including the trailer.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply,

I ran it with muffs and then ran it out in the water, Im going to put a new pump and thermostat on it tomorrow and see if the temperature stays level... In any note the water pump id say is the original from 1991 so its time for a change, Ill run it with a new thermostat and water pump and see how it goes, Ill do the impeller next month when we are heading into the winter, Of course if i see it rise about the half way mark with the new thermostat and water pump I will turn it off and do the impeller straight away, We just need the boat to go out 2 more days and we will get this job done,

Comment

you need to do the impeller first. the impeller is rubber and they last a maximum of about 5 years. your bellows are also rubber and you should pull the drive and inspect them as well.

this is part of the stem to stern maintenance that needs to be done prior to using the boat. especially if the boat has been sitting for 7 years.
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Does the impeller and housing create a vacuum to pull water in from the vents below? Just wondering if don’t have a good seal if that would be a major issue on water flow?

Comment

Working...
          X