Swapping I-MR to MC-1?

outgoingjake

Cadet
Looking at purchasing a 1985 Rinker. The sterndrive gears shredded so it needs replaced. I have a MC-1 sterndrive off a 1981 MC898 and am wondering if it'll bolt up to the I-MR housing.

Any help would be appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As long as the ratios are the same, yes.

outgoingjake

Cadet
As long as the ratios are the same, yes.

I believe my ratio is 1.65 and his is 1.98.

What are my options then? Can I purchase just the gears and seals to repair it, or am I looking at a whole new upper gearcase?

Bondo

Staff member
I believe my ratio is 1.65 and his is 1.98.

What are my options then? Can I purchase just the gears and seals to repair it, or am I looking at a whole new upper gearcase?

Ayuh,..... The 898 drive should be a 1.50:1,......

What motor is in the other boat,..??
If it's a 3.0l it won't work,......

As for swappin' gears, by the time ya buy the gear set, 'n seals, you can buy an SEI upper for the same money, or less,....

outgoingjake

Cadet
Ayuh,..... The 898 drive should be a 1.50:1,......

What motor is in the other boat,..??
If it's a 3.0l it won't work,......

As for swappin' gears, by the time ya buy the gear set, 'n seals, you can buy an SEI upper for the same money, or less,....

It is an inline 4 3.0l. That is what I have found, so I am just going to buy a new upper.

Should the lower be okay?

Also, I picked up the boat today and the prop still locks in one direction when in forward/reverse. Would it still do that if the gears were sheared?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Shredded top gears usually pours a ton of metal fragments into the lower. Unless you completely strip and clean the lower, adding a new (or rebuilt) upper will see it also explode fairly shortly.

Also, I picked up the boat today and the prop still locks in one direction when in forward/reverse. Would it still do that if the gears were sheared?

Yes. Gear shifting is done in the lower.

Chris...

outgoingjake

Cadet
Shredded top gears usually pours a ton of metal fragments into the lower. Unless you completely strip and clean the lower, adding a new (or rebuilt) upper will see it also explode fairly shortly.

Yes. Gear shifting is done in the lower.

Chris...

Appreciate the explanations and help a ton. World of boats is completely new to me as of ~3 months ago. Been learning what I can through forum posts, YouTube, etc.

Seems to be a difficult and expensive world :lol:

Anyhow, buddy of mine ended up having an outdrive for the same 3.0l. Gave it to me for free! Lucked out there.

Is there a list somewhere on the forums of basic maintenance that should be done to an old boat like this?

Thanks again.

Bondo

Staff member
Seems to be a difficult and expensive world :lol:

Ayuh,...... Pretty much All sports are expensive,......

If ya read the winterization, 'n summerization threads in Don'S Adults Only section, you'll know all the annual maintenance things to do,.....