Mercruiser 4.3L TKS running issues

CRJDriver

Cadet
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Mercruiser 4.3L TKS that is running poorly and I’m running out of ideas. The boat seems to be starving for fuel. It starts right up and idles beautifully. I motor 15-20 minutes through a no wake zone to the ski area. There I open it up and it runs great. I’ll run around the ski area at 4,000 rpm or so for a few minutes and then back off to idle. When I try to takeoff again it will die. I can coax it to go with the accelerator pump and I’ll get up to about 3000 rpm and it will start pinging and missing and the rpm will fall off on its own. From there it runs horrible and will barely idle. If I stop and let it cool down some I can restart it and get it back to the dock at idle. If I let it cool for a while it will start and run fine for a while.

It is close loop cooled and the coolant temp is normal at 175. Risers are all cool even after running at high rpm.
Things I’ve done:

1. Overhauled / cleaned the Carburetor with a merc. Kit and new power jet
2. Replaced the float and quadruple checked the float. Top at 14mm and drop at 27-27.5mm
3. New spark plugs
4. New fuel line
5. new fuel filter/water separator and filter in the carb.
6. New TKS module (replaced because it failed the bench test)

I'm thinking it’s a fuel starvation issue. I have a new fuel pump coming Wednesday. Any ideas? The only other idea I have is ignition? Could it be a cap and rotator or coil? I’ve read that when the coil gets hot it will drop volts?

Again thanks for any advice.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You may have a plugged fuel tank vent line. When it next does it, open the tank fill cap and see if you hear air rush in.

CRJDriver

Cadet
Well I replaced the cap and rotor and the fuel pump. No change. It’s not a vacuum issue. I pulled the spark arrestor and could see fuel being sprayed from the accelerator pump so it’s getting fuel. Coil? It’s about the only thing left to change?! Any suggestions?

D265

Cadet
Get a pressure gauge on your fuel line and see where you're at, you want to be around 4 psi. I had a similar problem and my fuel pump needed replaced. Too much pressure was causing the carb to flood