Troubleshooting a nonfunctional speedo

harringtondav

Commander
I rigged up this thing years ago to help unplug trash from my drive's speedo pickup. If a drill didn't fix it I'd hook up this and without fail it would blow out the clog.

I'm showing my boat for sale. I claim everything works great....almost. Speedp stopped working, The drill came out clean, so I hooked up my flusher. Clean stream. The locking tabs on the 22-815956A-1 tube end fitting are compromised....as in broken off. Result of yearly drive pulls and a wimpy design. I shoved it in place and showed the boat. Speedo worked fine...for a while.

So off to a local marina to buy a replacement, if I can find one.

IMG_20200803_204631043.jpgIMG_20200803_111847535.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Don't think I have ever had a working pitot tube speedo. Always used either tacho or later, GPS. Pitot speedos are notoriously inaccurate, especially at lower speeds.

Chris......

harringtondav

Commander
I normally just my pitot speedo to fine tune trim performance, checking speed vs tach. I'll pick up the new connector in and hr. Having everything working seems critical when showing a boat for sale. When the speedo dropped out last night I pointed it out to the customer saying I'd make it right. He didn't notice or care. Seemed he reverse aged 20 yrs driving the boat. He was having fun. A good sign.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Pitot tube speedometers are nothing more then water pressure gauges... So consistency is never guaranteed since the water you're boating in can change in both temperature and viscosity.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
When I first bought my boat as a novice, a non-functional speedometer would have concerned me. Now, not having a working pitot speedometer would not matter a bit. I hope your buyer understands how unimportant that piece of kit is.

Furbird

Seaman
Mine was plugged so bad (and apparently for so long) that whatever the grey stuff was in the lower unit was almost like concrete. I had to use the drill to clear it then several rounds of compressed air to get whatever was in there out. I pulled the dash and removed the tube from the back of the speedo also and turns out I had a blockage in there too that came out looking like a piece of a leaf. Easily over an inch long. How that got in the tube from the lower unit to the dash I have no clue. Took nearly 40 psi of shop air to blow it out along with everything else in that line. I used my old Garmin vehicle GPS on my maiden trip so I'll use that to see just how far off mine is. It's not supported any longer so I can't update it; if it dies, it dies!