About to order Rebuilt MC-1 gimbal assembly. Will this work?

ttownthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted yesterday about my corroded Gimbal ring. I'm doing a full restoration on a Bertram 25 and am just not comfortable with the prospect of keeping these assemblies as-is (unable to be rebuilt) since they are becoming more scarce. There is a guy in TN that restores these assemblies and My plan is to get 2 rebuilt assemblies and replace them and then get 2 rebuilt MC-1 drives or perhaps SEI drives (one counter rotating).

Questions:

1. Will the engines need to be pulled to replace the outer transom/gimbal assembly?

2. Will SEI drives work with the MC-1 gimbal/bell housing?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... #1,.... Yes,.....

#2,.... Yes,....

Why not just update to used Alpha 1 transom assemblies, or even Gen.IIs,..??

ttownthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,..... #1,.... Yes,.....

#2,.... Yes,....

Why not just update to used Alpha 1 transom assemblies, or even Gen.IIs,..??

I'm afraid that will not work......Are the drilled holes in the transom in the same places? And what about the exhaust tubes that bolt to the inner transom plate? Aren't they different?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... You'd need the outer housin', the exhaust down pipe, 'n you'd use the ole MC-1 inner plate,.....

ttownthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bondo exhaust downpipe from which engine? My downpipe wont bolt up to the Alpha outer plate right?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What year are your MC1 assemblies? Do they have the trim senders on the gimbal ring? The bolt pattern for the LATER MC1 is the same as the Alpha one, and with the addition of 2 holes at the top, then a Gen II will fit, and you should be able to use the MC1 inner plate. You would need to change the yoke from the old drives to the new drives, as the inline MC1 engines used a shorter yoke.

And what engines? (Probable inline 6, 165s?)

Chris......

ttownthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What year are your MC1 assemblies? Do they have the trim senders on the gimbal ring? The bolt pattern for the LATER MC1 is the same as the Alpha one, and with the addition of 2 holes at the top, then a Gen II will fit, and you should be able to use the MC1 inner plate. You would need to change the yoke from the old drives to the new drives, as the inline MC1 engines used a shorter yoke.

And what engines? (Probable inline 6, 165s?)

Chris......

No trim senders on the ring. They were transom mounted with that slide sender. I replaced them with alpha trim pumps.

I already ordered the rebuilt MC1 Gimbal assemblies. It will be enough hassle to pull twin engines only to find out later that I am missing some mundane detail that delays the conversion. Plus the first set lasted 48 years so I rolled the dice. Plus now Ill have 2 full sets of cores in case of an issue down the road.