2007 4.3L Mercruiser TKS Oil Sender

Spidrmunky

Cadet
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the oil pressure sending unit is located. Also, is there a part # associated with this that could be shared as well. Thank you very much!

alldodge

Staff member
Alldodge, that's not the oil pressure sending unit, that's the coolant temp switch. Oil pressure sending unit should be on the port side of the engine where the oil filter screws on (or if you have a remote oil filter kit, where the oil filter USED to screw on.) 16 I believe goes to the fuel pump, 17 goes to the gauge.

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31492/11812/120

Dang, your right I messed up. There has been several TKS threads with problems with coolant sensors. The oil pressure switch has no control with the TKS so I over looked it, thanks for the catch

Spidrmunky

Cadet
Thank you for the catch. So if I’m looking at this blown up diagram properly, part 17 is what I’m looking for. Thank you both again!

Spidrmunky

Cadet
Sorry that was meant to be a question....is part 17 in the blown up diagram what I’m looking for? It looks like it’s part of a tee by the oil filter? Thx

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry that was meant to be a question....is part 17 in the blown up diagram what I’m looking for? It looks like it’s part of a tee by the oil filter? Thx

Part 17 is the oil gauge pressure sender, it sends signal to the gauge at the helm

Part 16 is the oil pressure switch, it closes after oil pressure builds and keeps the fuel pump turned ON

Spidrmunky

Cadet
Out of curiosity, Is part 16 kind of a safety mechanism then? If you lose oil pressure the engine shuts off before any damage is done?

alldodge

Staff member
Out of curiosity, Is part 16 kind of a safety mechanism then? If you lose oil pressure the engine shuts off before any damage is done?

Yes sir, also if motor is not running you don't want the fuel pump feeding a fire if the fuel line is leaking