Oil in power steering pump

Rockrunner99

Cadet
I have a 2002 5.0 mercury that the steering became really hard on, felt like no PS support. I checked the fluid level and it was low so after the weekend bought some fluid and filled the pump. Ran it for a few seconds and got the milky oil on top when I opened the pump. I can't figure out how water got into the system as it looks to be all in the engine compartment.
The boat is at the house now so I can check everything and go from there.

Any ideas why I would have water in the system??

Thanks
Tom
2002 Sea Ray 200 select 5.0 EFI

Rockrunner99

Cadet
Yup. Don't try to fix it, just get a new one. Install it and flush the system.

Thanks guys, Ill take a look tonight and see if it is leaking, makes sense why there is water in the oil. Easy fix at least.

How about my gear oil disappearing?

Biggyniner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys, Ill take a look tonight and see if it is leaking, makes sense why there is water in the oil. Easy fix at least.

How about my gear oil disappearing?

When is the last time the lower unit was serviced? Are you sure the little o-ring for the oil passage was in place when reassembled?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If the gear oil is going away and there is no oil in the bilge yet, and no external leaks that are visible, it would be the driveshaft seal. Eventually it will run to the bilge but it takes alot to leak into the bilge. Pull the drive and investigate sooner than later as it will blow the drive if you keep using it.

Rockrunner99

Cadet
When is the last time the lower unit was serviced? Are you sure the little o-ring for the oil passage was in place when reassembled?

Not sure, we got it this spring. The previous owner did his own maintenance but after talking to him and finding out whet he did with the gear oil change I am now worried about anything he touched. Instead of finding out what was wrong when the warning buzzer went off he disconnected it. SO no i'm pulling the boat out of the slip again and checking all the normal maintenance items and more. He said he changed the oil just before we bought it, that is being drained and replaced too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the power steering oil is leaking out your power steering cooler

its not a driveshaft seal
has nothing to do with the drive as the only connection is a linkage between the tiller arm and the steering actuator.

the 2" cooler with 50 1/4" tubes in it used as a PS cooler has a leak and you are pumping oil into the cooling water stream and out your prop, while pumping water into the system.

dont confuse one sub-system with another.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
the power steering oil is leaking out your power steering cooler

its not a driveshaft seal
has nothing to do with the drive as the only connection is a linkage between the tiller arm and the steering actuator.

the 2" cooler with 50 1/4" tubes in it used as a PS cooler has a leak and you are pumping oil into the cooling water stream and out your prop, while pumping water into the system.

dont confuse one sub-system with another.

I think he knows that. He also asked where the gear oil was going.