Does motor oil go bad if left in the pan for more than a season?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
seriously, running a motor for 30 seconds after an oil change is OK and recommended to make sure the pump doesnt loose prime, the filter is filed and you dont have leaks

running an engine for a few hours after an oil change will start to build up combustion gasses in the oil.

2550SX

Seaman Apprentice
You're aware the dipstick tube goes all the way to the bottom of the sump? You can get a pump to suck the oil out...

Chris....

Actualy i dont use the dipstick. The hose that comes from the pan is connected to a 12v electric pump with a discharge hose. I think the previous owner installed the electric pump. I have to put the discharge end of the hose into a bucket and hit the switch and the pump sucks almost all 7 quarts into the bucket. Takes about a minute. The filter is remote. So that takes about a minute. The whole oil change takes like 4-5min. The pain is ordering the oil and finding a suitable place to dump it. My town dump wont accept oil. I have to wait until the bi-annualy oil collection in my county. Its a major pain. I dont believe in dumping used oil in soil so i have to hold onto it until the collection date. Sucks.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Where are you that you can't take the oil back to an AutoZone or whatever?

2550SX

Seaman Apprentice
BTW, good post and video.

I watched a few of his videos after i found that one. I like his videos. I wish i had his spare time. Seems oil now a days resists acid pretty well even after a year. I am pretty convinced i can change royal purple every 2-3 seasons and be fine. Maybe in 2022 when i change it next i will send a sample to the lab and report back if COVID doesnt get me first.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your boat, do what you want.

however oil changes are cheap insurance.