1987 Mercruiser 165 4 cylinder No Spark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Mercruiser 165 4 cylinder No Spark

I recently bought a 1987 that I'm told ran last time it was out, but it was 7 years ago. Boat turns over just fine, but no spark. I've followed the guide for troubleshooting points in the adults only section. I have 12 volts on positive side of Coil, Coil was replaced from a GT63 to an E30. Points appear good, condenser not so much. I'm having trouble locating original part #'s and what options I have for replacement with parts available locally. I ordered an Ignition kit from west marine but due to Covid-19 that's going to be awhile getting here. My Son bought this bought thinking I could easily fix it. I really don't want to let him down. I have no spark with old coil which the bolt broke when removing or the new Coil. I did NOT due the tapping negative test to simulate a spark.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Points appear good,
    Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,....... Did ya atleast sand or file the points,..??

Are the points makin' ground,..??

Comment

Don't know much about those motors but here is your parts list

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/165-...-i-l4-1987-0b4
      94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
      95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
      07 Seadoo GTX
      Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
      G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Thank you. Yes Points were sanded. a bit of Sulfur came off doing that. With a meter I have ground at the points, but at no point in the ignition cycle do I ever get ground at the negative terminal of the Coil. I tested the wire from the Points to the coil and zero resistance. As I understand it, without a negative signal at the coil, it will never fire.

Comment

So now, I've replaced Coil, Points, Condensor, Cap, Rotor and still no spark. all parts purchased at Mercruiser Dealer/Marina.

Comment

at no point in the ignition cycle do I ever get ground at the negative terminal of the Coil.
            Then your points are not adjusted correctly. When the distributor rotates the point should close on the flats of the distributor lobe. When points close, they ground the negative side
            07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by alldodge View Post

Then your points are not adjusted correctly. When the distributor rotates the point should close on the flats of the distributor lobe. When points close, they ground the negative side
              Since then, I've replaced everything and set the gap at 0.022. I'm thinking the problem must be elsewhere and not in the ignition circuit.

Comment

I''m not trying to insult your intelligence but I bring this up because I've seen it happen. You adjusted your points while at their widest open position, correct? I once saw a guy adjust them to the spec with the shaft turned to where the points should be closed. It's not a very complicated system. With a multimeter should be able to figure out where in the circuit the break is.

Comment

Originally posted by DanD34 View Post
                  I''m not trying to insult your intelligence but I bring this up because I've seen it happen. You adjusted your points while at their widest open position, correct? I once saw a guy adjust them to the spec with the shaft turned to where the points should be closed. It's not a very complicated system. With a multimeter should be able to figure out where in the circuit the break is.
                  lol feel free to insult my intelligence. However, in this case, yes, I set them at the top most position on the Distributor. I really thought I'd at least have a Spark, even if it didn't start. My concern at the moment is that the points I bought didn't have a bolt with nuts for attaching the Condenser and negative from Coil. The dealer told me that they just slide in and are held in place. I'm at a loss as to what is causing the no spark issue. I'm 3 weeks from them being able to look at it too.

Comment

The no spark issue is caused by you not having your coil grounded when the points are closed. Like Dand34 and alldodge said, rotate the dizzy till the points are closed. At this point your coil (-) should be grounded. If not, ground one end of your meter and go from connection to connection until you find your break. I'd start on either end of your points.

'86 Glastron Conroy X-19, Merc 170
                    '04 Carolina Skiff J14, 25 hp Mercury
                    Richmond/Montross, VA

Comment

Well it ended up being the point gap. However, while it ran at home, when I dropped it in the water, it started, ran for a few minutes and now tries to start but never successfully does. Even back out of the water, same problem. At least I have a spark now. I checked the fuel filter, it's fine. Fuel is getting to the engine.

Comment

Its either spark or fuel
                        07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by John_B View Post
                          Well it ended up being the point gap. However, while it ran at home, when I dropped it in the water, it started, ran for a few minutes and now tries to start but never successfully does. Even back out of the water, same problem. At least I have a spark now. I checked the fuel filter, it's fine. Fuel is getting to the engine.
                          go back to the points. gap them, then verify the dwell with a meter, then set timing
                          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                          X