Mercrusiser synthetic vs non-synthetic?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Soon, I will have to change oil in my MC 383s. I have never been a fan of synthetic oils in boats since I normally change oil yearly and don't want the extra expense associated with more expensive synthetic oils. But, then a friend told me that once a motor has used synthetic oil, you can't go back to traditional oils. I have never heard of this before? I plan on (hopefully) using Valvoline 20-40!

Alumarine

Captain
Sorry your friend is wrong. I haven't heard that one for a long time.
You can switch back and forth.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Why bother with anything but the cheapest possible oil? Engine isn't going to last long enough for low quality oil to cause any problems.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks to all! I dive a 1995 Chevy truck that has run perfect on regular 10w40 and for decades. My wife's vehicles all use synthetic per manufactures' recommendations. I didn't want to ruin good marine V8s due to ignorance.

harringtondav

Commander
Each of the last five vehicles purchased in our family require syn engine oil. This says something about the quality of syn oils. Merc's 20-40 syn is a little over $8/quart. Cheap insurance for a superior product.

Fuss188

Seaman Apprentice
People will debate this question all day.. Some guys are pro synthetic and run it in every engine they own.. others prefer sticking to the original manufacturers recommendations. I don't know there is a right or wrong answer, just more of a personal preference. I think synthetic oils are great. But I don't think they perform miracles. If the engine was built in a time before synthetics.. I run standard oil in it. Nothing wrong with regular oil if changed regularly.
As far as switching between the two oils.. I always like to flush the old with the new.. effectively doubling the cost for the first oil change. May not be necessary but just one of my quarks I guess.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As far as I know the Merc/Quicksilver oil is available in regular and semi syn. I know they used to sell a full syn but that has been discontinued. I have used the regular 25/40 in my old engine and it holds good oil pressure after running on plane and tested out well when a did a Blackstone oil analysis back in 2014. I think this oil is better than car based oils esp if you don’t have engine oil coolers as most Merc and Volvo small blocks do not.
i know Volvo recommended a full syn 10w/40, which you could use if you really want a syn. Personally I’d use the Merc regular 25/40. Easy to find everywhere and holds up well.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks again to all!!!!! These engines are 4 bolt main with manual fuel pumps so I suspect less tight than new motor designs. But the new stuff definitely has tighter tolerances. My old 95 Chevy is like the Energizer bunny but I don't run it much past 3 grand. My MCs will probable never turn much past 3 grand either. They are closed cooled but the damn Gulf of Mexico in NW Florida is already near 85 degrees at the surface. I suspect I will go with Valvoline regular mult-weight oils. THX AGAIN!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Not sure there is such a thing. There is a quicksilver synthetic blend, which is a semi as far as I know. I use this only because it’s better than the standard quicksilver 2540 junk. It isn’t much better to be honest but does hold its form a little better than the normal stuff, come the end of the season. If it wasn’t for me wanting to stay OEM...there are plenty much better oils out there for sure.