manifold overheating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manifold overheating

Hello, I have a 2015 8.2 Litre mag, sea core edition in a 2015 Monterey 298SS. Just got out of winter storage and the tech who did the maintenance took out the boat for a test run with diagnostic and 1 manifold is overheating. It has 320 hours of salt water use.

Tech said that front of manifold is overheating while the back end where riser is is cooling normally and water coming out after riser is nice and cold. in case it was a faulty temperature probe he switched them sides to see if it was a faulty probe but same problem persisted on same manifold What would be causing the front of manifold heating up? Been at garage 2 weeks and don't know what to do anymore. Thank you to who ever responds
    Last edited by Monterey1974; June 29th, 2020, 05:55 PM.

to iBoats . . .

What would be causing the front of manifold heating up? . . .

Sort of depends on which part of the manifold is getting hot. Not 100% sure, but improper water flow within the manifold could be the issue. Salted water use may explain it.

Remedy would be to disassemble the manifold from the engine, clean it out and inspect. It may need a new one . . . that is probably what a mechanic would recommend, rather than spend time figuring out if the original manifold can be saved.

Is your concern the time or the cost . . . or both?
    Last edited by tpenfield; June 30th, 2020, 03:43 AM.
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

Thank you TP, my concern is there is no manifold available for this motor for 8 weeks. 😳.

Comment

Originally posted by Monterey1974 View Post
        Thank you TP, my concern is there is no manifold available for this motor for 8 weeks. 😳.
        See if it can be cleaned out and saved, rather than replaced.
        Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
        Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
        Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

Working...
        X